PDA

View Full Version : Little Bo Peep

Sandra_Pearce
02-08-2008, 04:09 AM
I did a session with my granddaughter as Little Bo Peep this afternoon. Would like some input on the image. I want to use it for competition and want suggestions. I have tons to work with but this is the first one. I know it is not big but I have read Mark's instruction and it just doesn't compute in my head.

Sandra

Jeff_Dachowski
02-08-2008, 04:23 AM
Sandra,
This image has great direction of light in it. I love the feel of it. I would explore cropping a coupld of sheep off the left side of the print as every face will be looked at ans some are looking away, and are distracting you from the little girls face. Also I would consider cropping the sky down, but not losing the interesting clouds. Make a dup layer, and bring the clouds with interest down, and erase out everything else so you can crop the total image height while keeping the cool clouds. With the right presentation, I could see you doing well with this image.
Jeff

Sandra_Pearce
02-08-2008, 04:38 AM
Jeff,

Is this what you had in mind?

Sandra

Lois_Byrne
02-08-2008, 04:50 AM
Sandra,

I love your image! Take care, Lois

Andrea_Chapelo
02-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Great Image. I love the second version.

Cassandra_Sullivan
02-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Sandra I love this image. I love the 2nd version, however, to me I want just a little bit more sky over her head - not as much as in the first, but just a little more. I can't wait to see your finished version!

Linda_Gregory
02-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Sandra, I love this!! How does your granddaughter feel about it?

ERIKATHORNBURG
02-08-2008, 12:37 PM
I love it!!

Sandra_Pearce
02-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Cassandra, you and I think alike. I changed it, posted it and saw the same thing you did. Check this one and see - I think it is better too. I like a little more blue.

Linda, She is not a girlie, girlie but did this for me. I also have her holding a lamb. I took zillions of photographs. When I asked her she thought we were going to use a stuffed lamb. When I told her a real one she didn't mind the dress. I had envisioned this cute little fuzzy white lamb. When I got there it was solid black with a white spot on his head. So cute. A really fun session.

Sandra

Jeff_Dachowski
02-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Hi Sandra,
I do like the second one better. There is an intangible quality to it. Like it was an old film shot or something. Maybe you did something in painter? Either way, it just looks different. I like it!
Jeff

Sandra_Pearce
02-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Forgot to add the update. Any name suggestions. All I could think of was Peeps and Her Sheep

Sandra

cat_broderick
02-08-2008, 12:55 PM
I love this is image!! I would personally burn down the sky just a bit more for more drama, and to keep the focus on your granddaughter.

Heather_L._Smith
02-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Oh, Sandra! I just love this image!

I had just one suggestion, and I don't even know if it's worth it or not, but there is a tree poking up just over her right shoulder (camera left) - would it be better if that little part of tree were gone? I just caught myself looking at her face, then glancing at the tree...

D._Craig_Flory
02-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Hi Sandra;

This is incredible ... it looks like something Norman Rockwell might have painted !!!

I would take out the tree coming out of her shoulder.

Lori_Luza
02-08-2008, 01:19 PM
LOVE it.

One tiny point. I find the tree behind her shoulder a little distracting. Can that one just become some sky, instead?

I love the idea and the print! Clever and unique.

Sandra_Pearce
02-08-2008, 01:32 PM
You guys are all winners. I finished this a 2 this morning and could hardly wait for all of you to point out things I couldn't see. I never noticed the trees over her shoulder, I was concerned about the lone tree standing in the pasture to her left. I had way too much fun with this. I am so lucky to love what I do. Jeff asked if I used painter. I didn't, I used a filter I found at Imaging as a last action. You might want to look at it. www.totallyradactions.com

Thank all of you for the wonderful help.

Sandra

Ron_Jackson
02-08-2008, 01:42 PM
What a wonderful image Sandra. You are the bomb! This is going to score high I'm sure.

Danna_Price
02-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Wow, what a great concept This is really a storytelling pose if I have ever seen one. Are there any more from the series or is this really the best image?

Joe_Galioto
02-08-2008, 01:51 PM
sandra,
love the image! i would think you should do very well in compitition.
although, i think all the sugestions here are all very valid. the only thing i like to see is more space around the whole photograph, i know it will take some work. i see this image more as a pictoral type of photo. thinkl you could extend it on all sides so she is smaller in the scene? either way it's beutiful.
i think you should run with this theme and come up with some more childrens themes ie: little miss tuffit or jack be nimble, jack & jill etc. awsome exibit or calendar.
good luck
joe

D._Craig_Flory
02-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Hi Sandra;

Wow, talk about a great idea ! Joe hit the nail on the head. You can market "Nursery Rhyme Portraits" - I think that would go over big time !!!!!!!!

Mark_Levesque
02-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Just fantastic, Sandra. I can only imagine a gaudy score for it.

Cassandra_Sullivan
02-08-2008, 02:17 PM
I keep coming back to this to see what you've done with it. I just love it.
It just occurred to me, after reading Joe's suggestion about a series - it reminds me of Anne Leibovitz' series for Disney (http://www.usatoday.com/travel/disneyads/flash.htm).

How's this for a title: "Little Bo and her Peeps" (but the judges would have to know that 'peeps' is slang for 'friends'....)

Sandra_Pearce
02-08-2008, 02:39 PM
Okay, I burned the sky, took out the trees over her shoulder, added some a little more space around her. Did I remember all the tweaks?
The first one I posted last night and the one my buddies help me with.
Sandra

Jeff_Dachowski
02-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Sandra,
Squint your eyes. What do you see?

The river.

You need to also bring the river down a bit to keep the attention on the scene.

Jeff

Sandra_Pearce
02-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Jeff,

Bring it down (darken or placement)? When enlarging it moves the river.
To move it down would be to make more sky that I took off several posts ago.
Explain.

Sandra

Linda_Gregory
02-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Sandra,

Bring the light values of the river down. (I know this because I've had to do it enuogh! LOL!)

Jeff_Dachowski
02-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Sandra,

Bring the light values of the river down. LOL!)

What Linda said.
Jeff

Charlotte_Dameron
02-08-2008, 03:24 PM
I am new to this board AND print competition, so I may be speaking out of turn here, but if this print doesn't score well, the judges are drunk!! LOL

Beautiful, beautiful image.

Don_Chick
02-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Sandra,

You have a wonderful image here! Thank you for sharing with us. :)

How's this for a title: "Little Bo and her Peeps" (but the judges would have to know that 'peeps' is slang for 'friends'....)

Careful when you assume the judges will get anything... I didn't know that peeps is/was slang for friends... But then again I live in NH and don't get out much!!!

if this print doesn't score well, the judges are drunk!! LOL

Yikes!!! :eek: :eek:

Charlotte,

The judges compare it to the 12 elements and score accordingly...

Joe_Galioto
02-08-2008, 04:21 PM
besides,
i'm soooooooooooo sick of fairies & angels
joe

Sandra_Pearce
02-08-2008, 04:36 PM
But Joe,

Mothers do love fairys and angels. I have one I might post that is different. Another day.

Sandra

Joe_Galioto
02-08-2008, 04:47 PM
sandra,
you're right about angels, some mom's love them - i haven't had the heart to strap wings on a baby yet. if business slows down, i guess i'ld try anything.
don't you think it implies the baby is dead and in heaven?
back to your awsome photo:
sometimes a title should be just simple.
what's wrong with "little bo peep"
less is more and don't confuse the judges with cuteness.
joe

Sandra_Pearce
02-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Joe,

I don't do angels at all. I feel just like you do. Now Fairys are a different story. Men hate them women love them.

You may be right about the name. Can't decide.

Sandra

Don_Chick
02-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Sandra,

Opinions are like belly buttons... with that said...

I actually like your first version as far as the amount of space around Bo Peep. When you crop out some of the sky and foreground it makes the child appear bigger... I like her having space (not because it's a "rule" but for me it works in this image). I love the crop so only 3 sheep appear vs 5. And love the expression on the sheep! I am only seeing a 3 inch print on my screen, but IMHO, if you have a well printed image I could see this doing very well in competition.

A "fer fun" title... Oh, there you are!!!

Cindi_K_McDaniel
02-08-2008, 05:55 PM
girl, you are just amazing! I can't stop looking at it!

Teya_Rutherford
02-08-2008, 09:22 PM
This is such a beautiful image. I'm not sure if this will keep w/the 'right' opinion, but I wish the curve of the river behind her was a bit tighter...it leads me out of the frame the way it is. Does that make sense?