PDA

View Full Version : Question about Comp image size..

cat_broderick
02-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Please forgive me if this is a foolish question. I have been working on an image of a mother and child, Madonna style that you may have seen posted here. I have cropped it in quite a bit and now the image size is 5x8, 300dpi.

Does that mean I cannot use it as it doesnt meet my states requirement of 80 square inches?

Michael_Gan
02-07-2008, 05:03 PM
I think they did away with the 8x10 rule on a 16x20 mount. As long as you have the image on 16x20. DOn't get too caught up with the 300dpi size. You can make very excellent images at 180dpi and most often less.

Don_Chick
02-07-2008, 05:05 PM
Please forgive me if this is a foolish question. I have been working on an image of a mother and child, Madonna style that you may have seen posted here. I have cropped it in quite a bit and now the image size is 5x8, 300dpi.

Does that mean I cannot use it as it doesnt meet my states requirement of 80 square inches?

If you are entering your State level comp, check their print rules for minimum image size. National doesn't have a minimum.

You can make it bigger you just won't have a 300 dpi resolution and that may not be a problem....

D._Craig_Flory
02-07-2008, 05:06 PM
No matter which group, if they operated under PPA guidelines, the subject layer had to be 80 square inches in the past. Yours is only half of what it had to be. You should be able to read size requirements in your assn. print rules. Ours now just says whatever size it has to be on a 16x20 board. I would suggest, however, going with bigger than what you are down to or it will be lost on the background layer.

cat_broderick
02-07-2008, 05:07 PM
For MA, it is in the rules, but with it at 200 dpi it made it fit that spec. Thanks for the reminder.