PDA

View Full Version : Competition Critique Please

DiannaAllen
02-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Here are two more I'm considering, please critique. Broke It has 2 versions.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x277/Dianna58/IBrokeIt8x10.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x277/Dianna58/IBrokeItColor.jpg

Original of the bride:
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x277/Dianna58/_MG_8019copy.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x277/Dianna58/Stacy2copy.jpg

Keely_Deuschle
02-06-2008, 06:53 PM
Dianna,

I am definitely not qualified to critique, but wanted to say that these are just beautiful!

Keely

DiannaAllen
02-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Thanks Keely

Don_Chick
02-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Of the child I would go with the 2nd lighter version. The wedding image is very beautiful but from a competition perspective the dress looks "muddy", (doesn't have clean whites).

Dave_Cisco
02-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Here are two more I'm considering, please critique. Broke It has 2 versions.

I think I might like the B&W little girl, but with a couple of changes:
Black mountboard,
a little higher contrast,
possibly flipped image.

There is no light on the brides face...this will not fly as is.

Don_Chick
02-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Interesting how different people arrive at different conclusions!

DiannaAllen
02-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Of the child I would go with the 2nd lighter version. The wedding image is very beautiful but from a competition perspective the dress looks "muddy", (doesn't have clean whites).

There is light on the brides face this small version does not do it justice. Once again Don this one has a filter on it that totally changes the colors. I have a 24 x36 of this hanging in my studio and it is breath taking.

Dave_Cisco
02-06-2008, 08:23 PM
There is light on the brides face this small version does not do it justice. Perhaps...maybe the smaller size pinpoints the problem areas.

Once again Don this one has a filter on it that totally changes the colors. This is the second time you have explained a weakness in a print by telling us that you've used a filter. Might want to think about that.:)

See above....

DiannaAllen
02-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Dave did you get a chance to look at my other Comp thread? I would like your feedback also on that.

I do understand what you are telling me and appreciate it very much, I will use the comments I get on here constructively and they will help me continue to grow.

Thanks

DiannaAllen
02-06-2008, 11:49 PM
Okay I have reposted bride above - lightening her up and also providing the original image.

Comments please.

Stewart_Schulze
02-07-2008, 02:14 AM
a few things to think about on the bride
you are shooting straight up the rail if you would have moved just a little to your left two things would have happened the railing would be more 3D and the portrait in the background would have shown more
the only thing i would not have done is remove the bright green thing from the table "Just Kidding"

Dave_Cisco
02-07-2008, 02:16 AM
Hoping this shows what I meant about the light on her face.....this image also needs to rid itself of her shadow on the wall.

Dave_Cisco
02-07-2008, 02:20 AM
a few things to think about on the bride
you are shooting straight up the rail if you would have moved just a little to your left two things would have happened the railing would be more 3D and the portrait in the background would have shown more
the only thing i would not have done is remove the bright green thing from the table "Just Kidding"

I believe a third thing would have happened...the railing would have cut into her gown...and that would not have been a good thing.:)

Stewart_Schulze
02-07-2008, 03:11 AM
if you look the rail allready cuts into the dress and if you only move a little to see the 3D on the rail it would not cut that much more

DiannaAllen
02-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Thanks guys...

Stewart on the "If" hindsight is always 20/20 and I thought shooting straight up complimented the pose it also allowed me to get front and back detail in the dress. Those bouquets are challenging to pose gracefully with.

Ron_Jackson
02-07-2008, 03:31 PM
I've been watching this thread with interest. Let me say that those of us who post on here to competition critique often have no chance to "reshoot" a scene. The "What If" comments might be good for consideration in the future but are mostly frustrating to those of us who come here to see if our image as posted has any potential. The difference is often, are we shooting for competition or for the client. In Dianna's case she was shooting for the bride and making sure the dress detail was there. Most of us want to know if this image we post has the potential for competition and if so, what are the strengths and weaknesses and what can we do to "this" image to make it comp worthy. If not, then we need to go find another image. I can't speak for everyone but I will say I think most of us just want and need the gut level honest truth on the image as posted since there is often little chance of a reshoot.