PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Comp Results

Debra_Warner
02-06-2008, 06:21 PM
This was my first year entering as a new business owner. I've been professional for almost 2 years and knew nothing about lighting about a year ago. I hope this inspires new photogs to enter competition at their own state guild. All 4 of my prints got excellent comments on lighting, it was other things that hurt the scores.

I received an 81 for this print with second place (non master) over all for men indoors.
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n92/ladibovert/HomelandSecurity1863copy.jpg
This image scored an 80. Needed to be printed down more and cropped closer
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n92/ladibovert/ForeverFarmingcopy.jpg

These two scored 78s
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n92/ladibovert/Forgivenesscopy.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n92/ladibovert/ThroughtheYearscopy.jpg

I entered the first one as a student last year and only scored an 78. I reworked the image and resubmitted and scored an 81, so any of you out there was 78s.... resubmit them!!!

Debi

Don_Chick
02-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Wow!!

Debi, that's AWESOME!!!! Congratulations!

Won't be long before you are in the Masters category with images like that!

Andrea_Chapelo
02-06-2008, 06:28 PM
That is awesome!!! Congrats Debra! They are great images:)

Debra_Warner
02-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Thanks!

I do want to mention that I said 1 year ago I knew nothing about lighting. I spent many hours with Don Chick at the Larson expo this last September. This man taught me how to light like the images above. If you ever get a chance to see him speak or train... you should be there!

Debi

Ron_Jackson
02-06-2008, 06:33 PM
Congratulations Debi! Well done and inspirational.

Ron_Jackson
02-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Thanks!

I do want to mention that I said 1 year ago I knew nothing about lighting. I spent many hours with Don Chick at the Larson expo this last September. This man taught me how to light like the images above. If you ever get a chance to see him speak or train... you should be there!

Debi

How wild is that!!! There is a Don Chick on the forum too! Go figure. Two Don Chicks out there in the world. Oh.........wait a minute. My bad. I guess you are talking about "our" Don Chick. This is the same Don Chick that is going to "assist" me in Norway next year?! Oh I better get to practicing so I won't be so embarassed. :)

D._Craig_Flory
02-06-2008, 06:39 PM
Hi Debi;

I guess the next step will be you teaching classes. Congratulations !!!

Keith_A_Howe
02-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Deb, Congratulations! On the last print of the guy in the straw hat I would tone down the hat, crop a little more off the right side and artwork his eyes to really make them pop. I think it might have a good shot at getting a seal at HOA.

On another note, I will be in Cedar Rapids on 2/21. Our son is looking at Coe College. They offered him a HUGE schloarship. where is your studio? I would love to drive by if I have time.

Keith

Jeff_Dachowski
02-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Thanks!

Debi
I am going to see him speak tonight in fact!!
Jeff

Debra_Warner
02-06-2008, 07:07 PM
Ron, you better be on your game if you want to associate with "THE" Don Chick! I wanted to go to bed one night he was teaching me and he said I couldn't go to bed until I got the darn thing right! I was up till 3 am working on lighting!!! (that's totally not true..)

Dr. Craig... I have a fear of public speaking in that all I can do is picture people in their underwear and I stand there with this silly grin on my face and I always forget what I wanted to say.... I think I need to just ask people to put their clothes back on so I can concentrate!!

Keith,
One of the judges told me that the guy in the last picture looks too bored.. I still think I will take their advice and yours and try and enter them again at HOA with a little tweaking. I didn't really touch the eyes too much, but I think I may work on the color. There is a bit too much magenta in his skin as well.

I would love to have you stop by my studio. Actually, I am not too far from Coe College. On the same street I think..... just up a few more miles. Please give me a call if you have time! 319-373-6277 Here is my address if you want to see where I am compared to coe college. 1176 7th Ave Marion Iowa 52302

(So you want me to teach you some lighting while you are here?!) JUST KIDDING!!! lol

Debi

Don_Chick
02-06-2008, 07:16 PM
How wild is that!!! There is a Don Chick on the forum too! Go figure. Two Don Chicks out there in the world. Oh.........wait a minute. My bad. I guess you are talking about "our" Don Chick. This is the same Don Chick that is going to "assist" me in Norway next year?! Oh I better get to practicing so I won't be so embarassed. :)

Ron!!

I am so glad you are on ourppa! That made me chuckle!

Debi is a quick learner on the lighting thing. And pretty too - look at that avatar!

Keith, you trying to take away one of my "students"?

Mark_Levesque
02-06-2008, 07:30 PM
It is clear you have learned from Don. I see lots of similarities in the lighting, not to mention choice of subjects! Nice job. Lots of progress in your images.

Like, no way! So am I. But are you going to see ourPPA Don Chick, LightPro Don Chick, or NHPPA Don Chick? Hmmm?

Michael_Gan
02-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Might be the original "Chicks Who Click" :D <I gotta stop writing these one-liners all for a lousy toaster...>

Andrea_Chapelo
02-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Jeff

But I am going to spend a whole day with him in April, so there!:p

Debra_Warner
02-06-2008, 08:52 PM
But I am going to spend a whole day with him in April, so there!:p

You are going to LOVE it Andrea. Make sure whatever he teaches you that you take "pull backs" so you don't forget anything.

Debi

Don_Chick
02-06-2008, 08:53 PM
You are going to LOVE it Andrea. Make sure whatever he teaches you that you take "pull backs" so you don't forget anything.

Debi

She means images of the whole lighting setup for future reference!!!! :D

Ron_Jackson
02-06-2008, 09:42 PM
........." I wanted to go to bed one night he was teaching me and he said I couldn't go to bed until I got the darn thing right! I was up till 3 am working on lighting!!! "

Debi I know I have a strange mind but you might want to reword this whole sentence. :eek:

Debra_Warner
02-06-2008, 10:34 PM
Debi I know I have a strange mind but you might want to reword this whole sentence. :eek:

Geesh, get your mind out of the gutter Ron!!! :)

Cheri_MacCallum
02-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Congratulations!!! Great images!

DianeDavis
02-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Congrats!!

You are lucky to have Don as a teacher! And Keith is good too- pick his brain!

andiegoodman
02-07-2008, 05:19 AM
Wow!! Won't be long before you are in the Masters category with images like that!

She is taking lessons from you on photographing scraggly old men. LOL.

Great photographs, congratulations.

See Tracy, you need to go for it. Treat it as a learning experience no matter what the scores are.

Rick_Massarini
02-07-2008, 07:14 AM
Might be the original "Chicks Who Click" :D <I gotta stop writing these one-liners all for a lousy toaster...>

Hey Michael,
Keep the one-liners coming - I'm putting together a stand-up routine and I'm stealing all of your material for my act !!!

Linda_Gregory
02-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Debi,

Wonderful work! You must be quite a good student as well as having Mr. Chick (feel old now, Don?) as an instructor. I think I'd best start saving my pennies to take that class!

As for your subjects, surely you didn't find the majority of them in CR...but outside? How did you approach them? And as for the guy with the tattoo....OUCH! But oh, so nice lighting.

Don_Chick
02-07-2008, 01:57 PM
You must be quite a good student as well as having Mr. Chick (feel old now, Don?) as an instructor.

Linda,

Yes, Debi is a quick learner! And you can call me Don... all my friends call me Don!

Mr. Chick is my Dad. :D :D

Debra_Warner
02-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Debi,

Wonderful work! You must be quite a good student as well as having Mr. Chick (feel old now, Don?) as an instructor. I think I'd best start saving my pennies to take that class!

As for your subjects, surely you didn't find the majority of them in CR...but outside? How did you approach them? And as for the guy with the tattoo....OUCH! But oh, so nice lighting.

Linda,
Thanks, it's easy to be a good student when you find someone that teaches the way you learn...

YES!! I found them in Cedar Rapids! The first guy (my 81) works for the city that I live in. He actually goes around Iowa speaking as a Civil War re-enactor. Very good at what he does. He even grew his beard all scraggly for me.

The second guy (my 80) walked into an antique store that I was in. I just walked up to him and introduced myself as a photographer and told him he was a perfect character study for a competition I was entering and I asked him if he would be willing to let me photograph him in exchange for some free prints. He showed up at my studio the next day!

The third guy, I'm actually photographing his wedding this summer. I asked him if he had any tattos and he said yes, and showed me. Again, I just asked! Same with the other guy, I just asked.

Most people are flattered that you would ask to photograph them. You would be surprised!

Yes, save your money, I keep telling Don that he needs to put a class together because his lighting is so much fun to learn. Plus, it has helped me learn regular lighting for my high school senior subjects. I would love to show a picture of what I shot like before learning from Don, but I'm too embarrassed!!
:o

Keith_A_Howe
02-07-2008, 03:33 PM
And you can call me Don... all my friends call me Don!

He told me to call him Mr. Chick . . .

Keith

Debra_Warner
02-07-2008, 03:36 PM
He told me to call him Mr. Chick . . .

Keith

I call him "the Chick magnet"... hehe

Mark_Levesque
02-07-2008, 04:08 PM
I met Mrs Chick, and the Chick-lets. ;) (Sorry, Don)