PDA

View Full Version : New to forum, comp & Print cases

Charlotte_Dameron
02-06-2008, 02:42 AM
Hello everyone,

First--You guys are awesome! Hoepfully one day I will be awesome!

Second-- I am entering my first print comp at SWPPA NERVOUS. I don't have any expectations, I just want to experience the umm--experience.

So here I am nervous shaking in my boots (I'm from Texas YEE HAWW), asking you guys for your knowledge. If you don't mind, can you look at these files and tell me if you think I am going to get laughed out of the competition?

Oh and where the heck do I find a PRINT CASE?

The first one is called "Electricity Captured"
The second one is called "After the Ball"

Charlotte_Dameron
02-06-2008, 02:44 AM
third one is called "Love Can Build a Bridge"
Fourth one is called "Incognito"

DianeDavis
02-06-2008, 02:45 AM
Welcome.

I really like the elevator one. There are some heavy hitter in the comp world here- and they are pretty wonderful about sharing.

Congratulations on entering. That is a huge step.

Keith_A_Howe
02-06-2008, 03:19 AM
Charlotte
Congratulations on deciding to enter. That is the first step to seeing your work improve. No I do not think you will get laughed out of the competition. Hopefully there is no one that would be that rude in this industry no matter how an image scores, we applaude the effort the maker took to enter and learn.
Electricity Captured - I like the interaction between these two. I am not crazy about the huge light in the cealing of the elevator. Might try cropping most of it off to see if the story is still there without the distraction. I think I would like it better if the image were flipped as well. This way the open space would be leading into the couple. Also I am not sure the fire exstingwisher adds to the image.

After the ball - Good story but I am questioning the rustic steps that give me the feeling of leading to the cellar. Another thing that could be improved is the lighting, it is currently broad lighting on the girl and tending to be a bit flat as well.

Love can build a bridge - Very good interaction between the couple, all too often we see couples that do not look like they are in love, you have this part down pat. The dress looks almost blown out in the highlights and the faces look to not have enought light. Try darkening the dress and the background and leave the skintones alone. Composition is pretty good but I think I see his wedding ring on his ?right hand. Did you flip the image? Either way I think I would flip it so the couple is on the right side of the image.

Incognito - Again I would flip the image as you read into the image from upper left to lower right. As it is you read into the back of his head. Make sure the quality of the black and white part of the image is good.

Remember that the judging is under bright lights so you want to print the images down 10 - 20% darker than normal to avoid the images looking washed out. This will also make the images have more guts or snap when they are being judged.

Good Luck Keith

Charlotte_Dameron
02-06-2008, 03:30 AM
Thank you so much for looking at the images for me. You have no idea how much I appreciate it.

I will take your suggestions, and see how much trouble I can get myself into! LOL

Now I am off to find a print case.

Jeff_Dachowski
02-06-2008, 03:34 AM
Charlotte,
I think incognito is a strong image. I think it should be flipped, and made into a longer panoramic. with the child at the right end of the frame with a bunch of white space on the left side.

electricity captured might need a camera tilt to give it the modern look you are going after here. Typically consider tilting so the guy looks even taller than the gal( I said gal cause your from texas)

Jeff

Charlotte_Dameron
02-06-2008, 03:59 AM
I loved the idea of giving him more room..

How about one of these?

Nylora_Bruleigh
02-06-2008, 01:47 PM
I don't usually do this but I think this is what Jeff is talking about and I don't know how much time you have....

I Love this image by the way, you have some nice things here!

Good Luck with the competition! Let us know how it goes!

D._Craig_Flory
02-06-2008, 02:08 PM
Hi Charlotte;

I don't think anyone answered about print cases. B&H Photo sells them as does Calumet and other places. There are a few factors that enter into what to buy. I own two 16" x 20" cases. One is a 2" and the other is a 3" case. If I ever buy another I'll get an even wider one. You can use them for taking images to shows you are in, etc., besides simply for competition. Some people buy their cases 20" x 24". That gives more room for protective packing.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?shs=Print+Shipping+Cases&ci=0&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=productlist.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t

cat_broderick
02-06-2008, 03:45 PM
IMHO, Nyloras version showcases this image very well. Good Luck!

Stewart_Schulze
02-06-2008, 04:01 PM
this is one that breaking the rules might work with what he is doing and the title. It is fun to put him in the corner and tilted just a bit more so it looks like he is hiding the cookies

Stewart_Schulze
02-06-2008, 04:07 PM
sorry I ment to put the line so you could see the edge

Charlotte_Dameron
02-06-2008, 04:12 PM
THANK YOU!! I love that take on it!

Thank you for the info on the case as well. I was wondering if it was acceptable to put them into a larger case. I am going to try to order one today.

Thank you all so much for your help.

Charlotte_Dameron
02-06-2008, 04:14 PM
One of the reason I love this shot, is that it just looks like he "accidentally" walked through the viewfinder as I was shooting, as if her were being sneaky by lifting a cookie, no one would ever notice.

You guys are awesome. Have I said that yet-- Well you are

Kelly_Michelle
02-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Hi Charlotte,

I love Stewart's version of the little cookie monster! I was at SWPPA last year and although there are some really wonderful images there - you have no reason to feel that you would be laughed at. You have some great advise on here and some nice images.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi from one texan to another. (my husband is from Kermit if you know where that is - not too far from you.)

Kelly

Charlotte_Dameron
02-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Kelly,

I do know where Kermit is!! I have shot quite a few weddings there. I swear Texas is the smallest-large-state ever! LOL

Thank you for your comments. I guess I am just worried about the "unknown" being new to print competition is very intimidating. I have never even been to SWPPA, but I have seen the Loan collections at PPA and I am blown away sometimes.

BTW if anyone out there is going to be at SWPPA, I would love to have a meet up or get together for dinner or something.

Teya_Rutherford
02-08-2008, 08:28 PM
I love your images! That first one is great, but not crazy about the grungy border...

I really like the third one too, but that blue ribbon? is distracting - how would it look as a moody black and white?

Rick_Massarini
02-10-2008, 03:57 AM
... and I don't know how much time you have....

She has until 6:59 PM on Friday!!! Deadline for hand-carry in is 7PM. We start unpacking cases at 3PM !!!

Rick_Massarini
02-10-2008, 04:04 AM
...I guess I am just worried about the "unknown" being new to print competition is very intimidating. I have never even been to SWPPA, but I have seen the Loan collections at PPA and I am blown away sometimes.

BTW if anyone out there is going to be at SWPPA, I would love to have a meet up or get together for dinner or something.

There's nothing to be intimidated about - just think of it as a great learning experience. Like the Nike ad says - Just Do It !!!
I'll be at the convention - working with the print crew again. Be sure to sit in on the judging - it's going to be huge this year since we not only have Southwest but we're picking up the Rocky Mountain states too this year! It's gotta be a great show! Good Luck! I'll see you there.

Charlotte_Dameron
02-17-2008, 03:23 AM
Hey I just wanted to let everyone know that the first day of Print Comp is done here at SWPPA and my print titled "Incognito" (I used Stewart's suggestion) Scored an 80!! I got into the Merit Category! YEAHHHHH! I can't wait until tomorrow!

DianeDavis
02-17-2008, 03:25 AM
Congrats!!! Wishing good things for tomorrow.

Teya_Rutherford
02-17-2008, 03:26 AM
Yay, congrats! Has the elevator one come up yet? I love that one. :)

Charlotte_Dameron
02-17-2008, 03:30 AM
Yay, congrats! Has the elevator one come up yet? I love that one. :)

No it hasn't come up yet, but I am kind of worried about that one. I printed them a bit darker, but not really dark enough I guess because the bridge one popped up and I thought "wow that is bright under those lights" it scored a 75.

After The Ball hasn't come up yet either, it looks so much nicer in orint than it does as posted, so I am excited about that one.

The elevator one has a couple of really hot spots that worry me, but I am really here for the experience of competition, the merit was just a nice surprise!

Laura_Beth_Bailey
02-17-2008, 03:40 AM
I gotta grow some "guts!" I've never entered a competition and would really like to but am sooo chicken! I REALLY applaud you!

I love "Incognito!"

Congratulations!

JohnMalboeuf
02-17-2008, 07:12 AM
Hi Charlotte,

Congrats on the Merit print.

John

Marc_Benjamin
02-17-2008, 07:17 AM
Congrats!!!

Ron_Jackson
02-17-2008, 01:06 PM
Charlotte I am so happy for you and can't wait to hear about the others in your case.

Charlotte_Dameron
02-18-2008, 02:24 AM
Hey! So After the Ball--BUST LOL it scored a 76. Incognito scored an 80 which put it in the merit category!

I'm so shocked.

Teya_Rutherford
02-18-2008, 01:57 PM
did you hear any specific feedback about any of them?

Congrats again!

D._Craig_Flory
02-18-2008, 02:08 PM
Hi Charlotte;

So - you do have your news release ready, don't you ? Or, did you already send it out to all area newspapers ? Remember that any scores from 76 to 79 are in the above average category and worthy of announcing also.

Charlotte_Dameron
02-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Hmm I need to get busy on that Press Release!! LOL

I heard a few things for feedback, Incognito had some technical issues, a little sharpening line could be seen, and a little more noise than they would have liked. I think it was quite possibly the most challenged print in the competition. They liked that I actually got light up into the face area under the hat.

Electricity Captured was Little bright, but one of the judges actually liked that about it. The highlights were a big concern on it.

After the ball scored a 76 and Love can build a bridge scored a 75. I should really have printed those much darker. They just didn't have any impact and were too light from what I could tell.

Rick_Massarini
02-21-2008, 03:31 AM
I'm back from SWPPA with some news about one of the members of our forum family - guess who this now belongs to......................

Rick_Massarini
02-21-2008, 04:27 AM
OK - I won't keep you hanging -

Electricity Captured, by Charlotte Dameron.
SWPPA Seal of Approval
Judges Choice Ribbon
SWPPA Distinguished Print Award in the First-Timers Category

Oh, Also - another of her images - Incognito (high key of a baby with a brown hat) received a Seal of Approval.

Not too shabby for a First-Timer, eh !!!!!!!!!!!
Congratulations, Charlotte !!!!!!!!!

Mark_Levesque
02-21-2008, 04:33 AM
<applause>

Way to go!

Rick_Massarini
02-21-2008, 04:39 AM
And here's the image as it hung -

Sorry about the two posts, but the image attached got dropped off somehow...

Rick_Massarini
02-21-2008, 04:48 AM
And Here's "Incognito" as it hung...

Teya_Rutherford
02-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Ah, Electricity Captured was my favorite, yay and congrats!

Do you guys remember what score it got?

D._Craig_Flory
02-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Hi Charlotte;

I knew there had to be a reason you have a city, named after you, in North Carolina. Wow ... way to go, atta girl, woo-hoo, you rocked !!!

Ron_Jackson
02-21-2008, 01:38 PM
Charlotte I am so happy for you. What a way to enter competition. Wonderful feeling of validation.

Mark_Levesque
02-21-2008, 02:58 PM
You're up, Ron.

D._Craig_Flory
02-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Hi Mark;

Ron will probably walk away with Photographer of the Year or something in his first try. Then he will proclaim "This is Easy". ;)

Charlotte_Dameron
02-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks guys!! I am really really beside myself--really.

Rick Thanks so much for posting this!!! I never really thought to take pics of them hanging.

I am still on cloud nine er.. cloud 12!

Teya--they both scored an 80.

Ron_Jackson
02-21-2008, 03:38 PM
D. Craig I am just happy to participate. I have no feelings or expectations. Art is subjective and I am a participant in this process. What happens from this point forward at SEPPA is out of my hands. If I don't merit, I will not take it as a bad thing. If anything merits, I will accept that and not take anything more from it or presume anything more. I know there are many stories of people who submitted to one judging and not merit then turn around and submit the same exact print to another judging and go loan. So, it is what it is.

For this thread, I am just so happy for Charlotte. She had some compelling images that reaped the reward in competition. Well done!

Charlotte_Dameron
02-21-2008, 03:45 PM
D. Craig I am just happy to participate. I have no feelings or expectations. Art is subjective and I am a participant in this process. What happens from this point forward at SEPPA is out of my hands. If I don't merit, I will not take it as a bad thing. If anything merits, I will accept that and not take anything more from it or presume anything more. I know there are many stories of people who submitted to one judging and not merit then turn around and submit the same exact print to another judging and go loan. So, it is what it is.

For this thread, I am just so happy for Charlotte. She had some compelling images that reaped the reward in competition. Well done!

Ron,
I felt the same way about the Competition. I was really in it for the experience. Watching judging was very educational, but I guess the biggest thing I learned was that it is nearly entirely subjective. These judges are so knowlegable about what a print should look like, but when it comes down to it if a print speaks to them even if it has flaws, you can still be rewarded.

I also learned that there are some amazing photographers/graphic artists out there that I will probably never be able to compete with, and that is perfectly fine. I am really just happy to do what I love for a living.

Good luck with your first competition Ron, I can't wait to hear how it turns out for you.

Charlotte

Cheri_MacCallum
02-21-2008, 04:22 PM
Congrats on doing well in your first print comp!!! Now...take the info that you learned and run with it!!

Kelly_Michelle
02-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Charlotte - I have a really neat story to tell you that happened at SWPPA!

I was looking through all the images (that were amazing by the way). Behind me was a group of about four or five others. they were talking about an image that was their favorite and how they thought it should have scored much higher (I know - easdropping is bad:eek: ). I was curious so I peeked over to see what they were talking about. It was your print - incogneato (cookie monster). They all seemd to really love it. I do too it has a lot of character. Anyway, I thought you might like to hear that others appreciated your work as well.

Congratulations!

Kelly

Charlotte_Dameron
02-21-2008, 04:37 PM
Charlotte - I have a really neat story to tell you that happened at SWPPA!

I was looking through all the images (that were amazing by the way). Behind me was a group of about four or five others. they were talking about an image that was their favorite and how they thought it should have scored much higher (I know - easdropping is bad:eek: ). I was curious so I peeked over to see what they were talking about. It was your print - incogneato (cookie monster). They all seemd to really love it. I do too it has a lot of character. Anyway, I thought you might like to hear that others appreciated your work as well.

Congratulations!

Kelly

Ohhhh thats awesome! I don't care what it scored, just to know others appreciated it makes it perfect for me.

Thanks for the story

Sandra_Pearce
02-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Charlotte,

What a great job. I am packing my prints for the local guild comp tonight and then shipping them off to SEPPA. Congratulations on your prints. I loved them both.

Sandra

Heather_L._Smith
02-21-2008, 04:43 PM
I'll add my "woohoo!" to the thread! Way to go Charlotte!

Charlotte_Dameron
04-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Just wanted to bump this thread up because #1. I have been so busy I really haven't had time to play on the forum lately, and I didn't get to read alot of the comments people made, so Thank you all

#2. I just got an inquiry from a major corporation who wants to use Incognito for a product shot.

Good things just keep happening. I am so blessed

Sorry for the "brag"

Angela_Lawson
04-09-2008, 03:39 PM
Congrats Charlotte! It's a great image.