PDA

View Full Version : Any one like this one for comp?

JohnHeckler
02-04-2008, 06:44 AM
Still looking for 2 more to fill my case ... trying these out on ya ...

http://www.jthphotography.com/host-images/JTH_4285ed8x10-72dpi.jpg

http://www.jthphotography.com/host-images/JTH_4291ed8x10-72dpi.jpg

D._Craig_Flory
02-04-2008, 12:38 PM
Hi John;

If you turn them upside down and squint at them you will you see that posing a hi-key gown on a low-key background doesn't work very well. I also don't like the shadows on her arms. I'm sorry John but these don't do it for me.

Linda_Gregory
02-04-2008, 12:47 PM
The shadow on the arm may be an issue but how could you achieve this affect/feeling without the darker background?

D._Craig_Flory
02-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Hi Linda;

The rule of thumb, in portraiture, is to create portraits with subjects wearing dark clothes on a low-key, white on a hi-key, and middle key on a middle key background. The two exceptions are brides and models. The reason for both is that the clothing is the most important thing. I still do images of brides on my two low-key old masters backgrounds but then also do them on my pastel old masters. My favorite old style bridals were on hi-key with the background lit with a focusable spotlight where a "breakup" cookie pattern was used for the background shadows.

On these images the dress and veil are all you see at first. That is my major problem. If she were wearing a black gown they would definitely work.

JohnHeckler
02-04-2008, 02:08 PM
I messed with a couple few Kabota actions on them and took the background way down to get the images you see below. I'll mess with the original again and see if I can address some of the concerns.

Which do you like better, the bride looking back and making eye contact or the other one?

Keith_A_Howe
02-04-2008, 02:10 PM
John
If you had to choose one of these it would be the first one. I like the softness of the image. One of the problems is the line created by the veil that intersects the face. Also I think I see that the dress is blown out under her arm. One of the reasons why we try not to show a light colored outfit (white Wedding Dress) on a very dark or black background is that the viewers eye goes to the brightest or most contrasty areas of the image, in this case the dress. Then to the white cord line of the veil, then the bright areas of the arm and finally to her face. If this were a commercial image where we are featuring the dress instead of the bride you would want to have the darker background.
I think the first image would be in the 74-76 area and the second image in the 72 area. JMO
Keith

Heather_L._Smith
02-04-2008, 02:11 PM
I prefer the first - although it looks like her dress is laying funny on the right side mid-back.

Marc_Benjamin
02-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Sorry John I'm not seeing it for the same reasons as everyone else.