PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Album Competition

Greg_Hawkins
02-04-2008, 03:23 AM
I just downloaded the comp rules for 2008 and I noted that single photographer events will be judged with multi-photographer event albums and albums as well as cd's may be entered. I have a question - which will be better, a cd or a hard copy of an album?

Greg

Keith_A_Howe
02-04-2008, 03:30 AM
There is no benefit to an actual album over a CD unless your affliate does not offer CD judging for albums. If your affliate does not - then you won't be able to enter the CD album there and try for the seal. With a Cd you do not risk the potential handling and shipping wear and tear that can happen with an acual album. FWIW
Keith

Greg_Hawkins
02-04-2008, 03:33 AM
Keith,

Thanks for the prompt reply! Do you think that one format has an advantage over the other as far as impact? I had much rather do the cd's (for obvious reasons).

Greg

Keith_A_Howe
02-04-2008, 03:38 AM
Do you think that one format has an advantage over the other as far as impact?
Greg

There is no benefit to an actual album over a CD

There's the answer to your question.
Keith

StaceyDamon
02-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Greg, I was on print committee at Maine last weekend and kept hearing from the judges that the actual printing hurt the albums....another thing to think about and something you don't have complete control over.

Greg_Hawkins
02-04-2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks, Keith and Stacey! Stacey, that's what I wanted to hear. I have a wonderful lab (CPQ) that can print some absolutely fablulous competition prints but there's no way that a prints can compete with the "pop" that electronic files can have.

Greg

Keith_A_Howe
02-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Greg, I was on print committee at Maine last weekend and kept hearing from the judges that the actual printing hurt the albums....another thing to think about and something you don't have complete control over.

Stacey and Greg - I was not at the judging so I am reading into the situation here. This lends itself to print quality. We look for consistant color balance through out the album and if there are BW images they need to be good clean BW's. I am betting that the judges were refering to this situation. It will also be the same problem with a DVD album. We will still be watching quality even though there are no actual prints in an album.
Just thought I would add this thought incase it helps clearify potential problems.
Keith

Marc_Benjamin
02-04-2008, 07:00 PM
I have mixed feelings about the album competition becoming more and more like a layout design competition.

A big part of me still thinks that the craftsmanship of the actual product still needs to count for something.

Greg_Hawkins
02-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Marc,

One of the things about the album competition for me is cost. I'm a wedding photographer and when I enter, most likely almost every entry will be an album. Three or four of 'em could break the bank!

D._Craig_Flory
02-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Marc,

One of the things about the album competition for me is cost. I'm a wedding photographer and when I enter, most likely almost every entry will be an album. Three or four of 'em could break the bank!

Hi Greg;

Why not enter one album plus maybe two wedding 16X20's and a bridal portrait 16X20 ?

Todd_Reichman
02-04-2008, 08:17 PM
I like Greg intend to submit 4 wedding albums because that's what I consider to be the final product of my efforts. That, and I'm not a good enough photographer to merit a single image! I think it would be great to be able to have physical books judged, but those thins are expensive and I'd be wary of supping them. Maybe if they could be dropped of and picked up like at a local/regional. It would be cool to be able to flip through the merited albums at IUSA.

-trr

Greg_Hawkins
02-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Craig,

I might probably enter one...maybe two...prints. I have entered albums before and they often came back damaged. I really like the fact that PPA allows the files.