PDA

View Full Version : comments for possible comp print

MarilynDillon
02-03-2008, 12:57 AM
first timer -- thanks!

Stacey_West
02-03-2008, 07:50 PM
I'm no expert - and this is especially true regarding children's photography - but I think this image will have difficulty meriting.
Being broad lit doesn't help - also on the posted file it is hard to tell if there is light in the child's eyes; there doesn't appear to be. It is cropped pretty tight; you'll often see comments on children's photos where the maker is encouraged to give the subject "room to grow". Finally, I think the print lacks impact. I think it is a pretty print and a pretty young lady but if your goal in competition is to earn a merit I'm not sure this image will score an 80.

Keith_A_Howe
02-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Stacey pretty much said it. It is a pretty girl but bring the main light around to camera right and then her face will appear thinner and more pleaseing. The only thing I would add is the area under the girls hand appears very soft, what is it? Why is it soft? It is a distraction to the image IMO.
Keith

MarilynDillon
02-04-2008, 11:07 PM
thanks keith and craig
thanks very much for your comments -- i am learning!
the area under her hand is actually the back of a chair - you should have seen how distracting it was before i worked on it! ha!
put this one in the "mom loves it anyway" category.

MarilynDillon
02-04-2008, 11:08 PM
i should also mention that she was only about 6 years old -- so her face does have that kind of full look - it was windows light. next time i will try some different angles --