PDA

View Full Version : Possible Competition Image???

DiannaAllen
01-31-2008, 07:49 PM
Here's one I'm considering. Feedback please.http://http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x277/Dianna58/Lilly.jpg
She's my pride & joy! She thinks she has to pose with all my clients.

Title: "Like This Mommy?"

Cheri_MacCallum
01-31-2008, 08:05 PM
What a sweetie!! I would remove the tag, lighten the collar and tone down a small light area on her lower back near the edge of the image.

I would change the title. Not everyone feels the way we do about our dogs being our children.:D

Some judges might not make the connection.

DiannaAllen
01-31-2008, 08:32 PM
Thanks... here it is with your suggestions. Title I've got to work on but since she's a "camera hog" I thought about "Camera Dog" but again many may not get it. I removed the tag but it was in the original and I used it to digitally put her name on it. I understand why it needs to go for competition though.

http://http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x277/Dianna58/Lilly-Comp-2.jpg

D._Craig_Flory
01-31-2008, 08:37 PM
Hi Diana;

Cheri is 100% correct. I would take out the tag, but, would also take out the collar as well. The background pattern needs to be toned down too. Here is how I see it. My title is not the best ... I'll keep thinking.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/RegalCanine.jpg

Stephanie_Millner
01-31-2008, 11:20 PM
So sweet, Dianna! Are you entering it at VPPA?

Title Idea: "Golden Girl" ??? (I don't know. first thing that popped into my head.)

DiannaAllen
01-31-2008, 11:24 PM
Thinking about it Steph. I won't be going but I'd like to enter. I'll definitely be entering the image that got Showcase at nationals.

DiannaAllen
02-01-2008, 12:03 AM
The title just came to me

"Attention Please..."

That's the look I get whenever she wants ANYTHING.

Dave_Cisco
02-01-2008, 12:06 AM
......and remove your logo.:D

DiannaAllen
02-01-2008, 12:09 AM
......and remove your logo.:D

Of course Dave... just left on there for purposes of posting here.;)

D._Craig_Flory
02-01-2008, 12:22 AM
It just occured to me ... the image made me think of Alexander Graham Bell. The title in my head was "His Master's Voice". Too bad you didn't have a Gramaphone in the image.

Mark_Levesque
02-01-2008, 01:41 AM
Wrong kind of dog.

Stephanie_Millner
02-01-2008, 01:46 AM
That's not a golden?

DiannaAllen
02-01-2008, 01:52 AM
Wrong kind of dog.

Mark I assuming you are responding to the "golden" comment.

Actually she is a cocker spaniel golden retriever mix.

Mark_Levesque
02-01-2008, 02:01 AM
No, the wrong kind of dog for an RCA gramaphone ad recreation. (SB a Jack Russell)

Dave_Cisco
02-01-2008, 02:06 AM
It just occured to me ... the image made me think of Alexander Graham Bell. The title in my head was "His Master's Voice". Too bad you didn't have a Gramaphone in the image.

Loan her yours.:D :D :D :D

Mark_Levesque
02-01-2008, 02:15 AM
He's still using it!

DiannaAllen
02-01-2008, 02:30 AM
Cute you guys...:rolleyes:

JohnHeckler
02-01-2008, 02:58 AM
I'm not sure if the chest being the lightest part of the image will hurt it or not. I also can't really tell if there is good light in the eyes. I see the 2 catchlights, might want to remove one. I also like how D Craig brought down the background as I think the lighter spots drew attention away from the subject.

D._Craig_Flory
02-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Hi Diana;

Dave brought up you renting our two year old Jack Russell Terrier. If you come up with a Gramaphone ... the rental fee will only be $1,000.00. Thanks Dave - great idea. :D

Don_Chick
02-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Dianna,

I apologize for not posting earlier, I am getting asked to look at lots of images right now as print comp season is heating up!

You have a nice image of your "pride and joy" however as presented I see it scoring in the above average category. John's comments were right on... The lightest area is under her chin taking your eye away from her face. The catch lights in the eyes are too low for competition too...

Can you photograph her again? Raise the main light to get the catch lights in the eyes at around 11pm and gobo the chest area to keep some light off it. Make sure you have the nose and eyes in focus too. Also, consider raising the camera angle or lower her head.. With these changes I think you could have a merit image.

Jane_Lydick_Staid
02-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Dianna,

Beautiful image of a beautiful dog. What's her name?

My dog Buddy is always with me in my office and either entertains clients for me or poses at their feet when I am doing close ups. He just loves being the center of attention.

Joe_Galioto
02-01-2008, 04:30 PM
d,
great dog.
i sort of like the collar(without the tag). it grounds it somehow, bringing your eye around and then back to the face.
joe

DiannaAllen
02-02-2008, 06:52 AM
Thanks everyone I really appreciate the feedback. Here is another version that required a title change. I named it "Only in My Dreams".

Don I agree on the catch lights, I just don't like them myself. Don't know what my chances of getting another really good posing session out of her is. I'll try though. I even tried moving them in photoshop and they looked worse when I put them where they should be.

Also I have attached "Double Trouble". Please critique both.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x277/Dianna58/Only-In-My-Dreams.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x277/Dianna58/Double-Trouble.jpg

Thanks

D._Craig_Flory
02-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Hi Diana;

Just on initial impact, that would get a 90 from me. Once I studied it and other jurors chimed in I would maybe come back down ... to an 86. WOW !!!

DiannaAllen
02-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Hi Diana;

Just on initial impact, that would get a 90 from me. Once I studied it and other jurors chimed in I would maybe come back down ... to an 86. WOW !!!

Which one Craig?

DiannaAllen
02-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Dianna,

Beautiful image of a beautiful dog. What's her name?

My dog Buddy is always with me in my office and either entertains clients for me or poses at their feet when I am doing close ups. He just loves being the center of attention.

Jane, her name is "Lilly" but I call her "Pumpkin" & "Baby Girl" as often as I do "Lilly". I named her after my mother-in-law; a very special lady in my life that's gone to heaven now.

D._Craig_Flory
02-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Hi Diana;

I saw the pooch before. It's the birds that made me sit up and scream YEAH this morning !!!!!!!!!! To get a feeling of bird images, check out the Blue Ribbon slide show of 2007 PPAofPa blue ribbon winners. (just skip on by my geese image :o ) My friend from Maryland, Joe Campanellie, does some amazing work with images of birds. Go to www.ppaofpa.org and click on the 2007 Blue Ribbon slide show.

Keith_A_Howe
02-04-2008, 07:26 PM
Diana,
Don was right on on his CC. I would try to keep it sharp from nose through the ears. This is critical! On the birds with a lot of assumptions (sharpness and print quality) I would possibly be in the merit catagory. I am having issues with the lines leading me out of the image. The bright area of the sunset needs to be toned down IMO as I read into the image from upper left and flow right out of the upper right. I tried the image flipped and I think I like it a bit better as I flow through the geese (still kinda go out of the image, I wish there was more room to the left of the geese as you have it shown) and come back to the herrons (or what ever they are). Hope you have more room on the file.
Keith

DiannaAllen
02-05-2008, 03:57 AM
I've redone them using your feedback. I have also added one more. I'm thinking of entering in our state comp so those of you that have been judges would you mind scoring each and telling me why you scored it that way?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Double Trouble with dry brush filter - Removed one of the ducks to make it flow better (I hope)
[/IMG]"]http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x277/Dianna58/Doubletrouble150DryBrush.jpg

Double trouble no filter

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x277/Dianna58/Doubletrouble150.jpg

Only in My Dreams - (Mat has an embossed image of clouds & birds in case you can't figure it out) Sorry Craig but no other votes to remove the collar
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x277/Dianna58/OnlyinMyDreams150.jpg

New One: Amber's Grace
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x277/Dianna58/AmbersGracerd150.jpg

D._Craig_Flory
02-05-2008, 03:47 PM
Hi Diana;

On the image of birds ... I see Keith's reasoning. He is far above me. However, I just don't like it flipped. Here is how I see it. Oh, I titled my effort Take Offs and Landings.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/TakeOffsandLandings.jpg

DiannaAllen
02-05-2008, 03:56 PM
Thanks Craig, I'd still like to get a score on each image. By the way, the name is "Dianna" People always get it wrong for some reason.

D._Craig_Flory
02-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Hi Dianna;

I am sorry about shortchanging you an N. This one also is short an N. In the future I'll put in 3 N's to make up for it. :o

I totally went in a different direction on what I'm calling "Starstruck". I hope this helps you see some possibilities. Oh ... I'm not a fan of you putting in an accent line outside of the image layer. That tends to draw too much attention to that instead of simply adding an accent and separation of the subject layer from the background layer.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/Starstruck.jpg

Keith_A_Howe
02-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Dianna,
I disagree with D. Craig on the flipping of the birds and here are my thoughts why. Your eye gravitates to what is different in a print. If it's a mostly light print, you will be drawn to the darkest point. If mostly dark - your eye goes to the lightest point. The one dark bird is different from the other two, so that is where my eye wants to stay. With the dark bird on the right I have two diagonal light "lines" leading me to that bird, one created by the sunset (which needs to be toned down a little) and the other created by the two light birds. My eye easily moves to a point of interest and stays within the print. When the dark bird is on the left, my eye comes in and hits on that dark bird then skips over to the lighter area and just gets confused. So because our brain doesn't like confusion ( No comments Mark L.!) my eye wants to leave the image. As far as a score, I will never give an exact score here. Too many variables that cannot be seen or controlled on these posts, low res files, color balance of moniters, small size of actual image, sharpness etc etc. There is too much left to guess work. My instinct is it will fall in the deserving of merit catergory.

The dog, I can tell you are emotionally attatched to this image. The downfall with entering a subject that you have a connection to is that it effects your objectivity. This image continues to appear soft in focus. Maybe that's just my moniter but I have pretty good, big moniters so I don't think so. Dogs need to be sharp from the tip of the nose to the ears. I think you will be dissapointed with how this image will score. If you decide to go ahead with it, present it in a plain black mat (or much darker color) with a fine stroke not that wide border. Get rid of the birds which are just a distraction and draw you eye away from the dog. I have no feelings one way or the other about removing the collar, but the background is too distinct, blur it a little more. Again, I won't give a exact score but I would guess this in the average catergory.

The girl, If you make some changes I could see it possibly going in the above average catergory. Right now it looks muddy, you need to snap up the highlights. I don't know if you were going for sepia, but it has a strong yellow cast to me, and I do not care for yellow skin. D. Craig has changed it to B&W which I like better. He also cleaned up the highlights which is good but now the lighting pattern has flattened out on his version. So be careful not to do that. I also believe you need to crop in a little. The bottom edge is hitting her bustline at an awkward spot. Don't know how to say this tactfully, but her bustline has started to curve back in at the bottom. Crop so the bustline is creating a diagonal leading you into her face, not out and then in to her face. A traditional head and shoulders is usually cropped just above the sternum. You can loose some from this image on all four sides. A general guideline is the eyes on a H&S portrait should be about 1/3 down from the top of the image. as you have it currently cropped her eyes are almost halfway down. Also the out of focus tree in the background is tilted so fix that. Good Luck and let us all know how you do. Do you have a 4th print to fill your case?

Keith

DiannaAllen
02-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Thanks Craig and Keith your input is really appreciated.

Keith the dog appears soft because the Nik filter I used on it was Midnight Sepia. It tends to blur it and without the filter I don't like the image nearly as much. Maybe I will reshoot her and enter her next year. Yes I have a 4th image and a couple of others I'm considering. The 4th one is definitely the one I entered in National last year and got Showcase on. I had not entered it in state before.

Craig I have to correct people on the spelling all the time so it's no big deal but I've seen it done so much lately I just had to comment...;) You can keep the 3rd "N" :rolleyes:

Keith_A_Howe
02-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Yes I have a 4th image and a couple of others I'm considering. The 4th one is definitely the one I entered in National last year and got Showcase on. I had not entered it in state before.

Dianna, If you are wanting to enter your best stuff for possible state awards then use this image. Remember though, you miss out on the chance to get another possible print prejudged before national.

Keith

Don_Chick
02-06-2008, 01:52 PM
Hi Dianna,

Keith has very well covered the issues here regarding your prints. I do like the birds image, not flipped. The flow for the viewer is much cleaner when the dark bird is on the right side. I would like to see the bright area (upper left) brought down a bit so it doesn't compete with the birds for the viewers attention. With excellent print quality, I could also see this one meriting.

I agree again with Keith on the dog image. You said it was your dog, why won't you photograph her again? Get the lighting perfect this time, and you could have another merit image. She is beautiful and with the proper lighting..... This image you have here will (at best) give you an above average score...

Jim_Lersch
02-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Dianna, I answered your request for critique by PM. Check your InBox.

DiannaAllen
02-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Hi Dianna,

I do like the birds image, not flipped. The flow for the viewer is much cleaner when the dark bird is on the right side.

You said it was your dog, why won't you photograph her again?

Don... sometimes advise on here gets so confusing...one likes it flipped the other doesn't and I know thats exactly what we're dealing with with panel judges. It's so hard to decide what to go with, I'll see what other feedback I get before making my final decision.

I will photograph Lilly again but probably not for this competition. What MADE the portrait was using the Nik Midnight Sepia filter, but of course that blurs/softens the image.

You did not comment on Amber's Grace so does that mean she won't fly?

Thanks for your feedback!

Mark_Levesque
02-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Dianna, apply the filter to a separate layer and then mask the eyes and nose a little bit (assuming it's sharp to begin with)

Don_Chick
02-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Don... sometimes advise on here gets so confusing...one likes it flipped the other doesn't and I know thats exactly what we're dealing with with panel judges. It's so hard to decide what to go with, I'll see what other feedback I get before making my final decision.

I will photograph Lilly again but probably not for this competition. What MADE the portrait was using the Nik Midnight Sepia filter, but of course that blurs/softens the image.

You did not comment on Amber's Grace so does that mean she won't fly?

Thanks for your feedback!

I was typing quickly earlier to at least add comments and missed the 3rd image. Amber's Grace will get you an average/above average score.

DiannaAllen
02-06-2008, 05:39 PM
Dianna, apply the filter to a separate layer and then mask the eyes and nose a little bit (assuming it's sharp to begin with)

I did and the eyes and nose are sharp even in the images posted on here. The ears start to soften though.

Thanks though