B. ply
C. inches
D. millimeters

Q2) A method of mounting without a border is called:

A. hinge mounting
B. dry mounting
C. bleed mounting
D. tack mounting

Q3) Which of the following is not true of local reduction?

A. It is used to lighten larger areas than can be etched
B. It is performed on a dry print
C. It can be reapplied to increase the lightening action
D. It requires fixing afterwards

David_A._Lottes
01-29-2008, 02:44 PM
1. D
2. A
3. D

I think.....?

Thanks Mark!

Mark_Levesque
01-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Mr Lottes, see me after class.

Cassandra_Sullivan
01-29-2008, 05:52 PM
This is Chapter 12 in the 9th edition, so I'll go read it now...I'll be baaack..;)

TerryMiller
01-29-2008, 07:02 PM
1 D
2 C
3 D

I think too:D

Cassandra_Sullivan
01-29-2008, 07:25 PM
1) B
2) C
3) B

Anne_LeBouton
01-29-2008, 08:26 PM
B,C,B but I've never heard it called bleed mounting. Framers call it flush mounting. I think it's listed that way in the fine art and framing standards (FACTS).

Gary just pointed out the "bleed" is a term from the printing industry (a full page bleed of a photo) and that even with albums, it's listed as flush mounting. I think that question needs to be rewritten since none of the answers is technically right.

Stephanie_Millner
01-29-2008, 08:52 PM
Yes, and technically - you can't mount a bleed, since something is a bleed because it's already been cut into - it would already need to be mounted... but it's a technicality. And it's a printer thing.

D._Craig_Flory
01-29-2008, 08:58 PM
I would suggest calling PPA. Ask for Certification and relate this to them. I have been a pro since 1966 and always have called it a flush mount as well.

Auralee_Dallas
01-29-2008, 09:07 PM
I think BCB

D._Craig_Flory
01-29-2008, 09:43 PM
I sent an e-mail to a member of the certification committee about the incorrect answers and that the best answer should be flush mounted.

Mark_Levesque
01-29-2008, 10:06 PM
Sorry, guys. I was using the terminology from the book to avoid confusion. I've heard flush mounting as well.

KirkDarling
01-29-2008, 10:31 PM
A
C
B Ferricyanide works with the fixer, so it has to be done toward the end of fixing followed up with a bit more fixing.

A. hinge mounting
B. dry mounting
C. bleed mounting
D. tack mounting

I've always heard "flush" mounting, but ...

"Hinge" mounting is always used with a mat
"Dry" mounting could be either--it's too general.
"Tacking" is what you do with a small iron to secure the location of the paper to the mount before putting the package into the press, so it's not a "method of mounting."
"Bleed" as I've heard it is a picture that is published without a border, so even if I hadn't heard that term in reference to mounting, I'd still guess that was the correct answer.

Larry_Weathers
01-30-2008, 12:33 AM
A,C & B
I must have skimmed or skipped over these items in the text.

Anne_LeBouton
01-30-2008, 01:24 AM
Dry mounting is just a type of mounting. You can dry mount a print with or without a border. I actually prefer to dry mount everything with a border and then trim the border if I want it flush mounted. It's easier to cut the board a bit bigger and leave a border, then trim it down than to try to line the print up perfectly on a board cut to size and hope it doesn't shift. The little extra mount board that is wasted is much less expensive than having to order a new print! :eek:

Kirk, I thought you would be one of the few people besides my husband Gary who knew what ferrocyanide was and how to use it. I actually asked him for the answer.

GeorgeannChambers
01-30-2008, 01:33 AM
I say B,C,B

Heather_L._Smith
01-30-2008, 03:19 AM
B
C
B

Although I had to go back and read the section on local reduction

Elizabeth_Pokela
01-30-2008, 03:42 AM
B
C
B

I agree bleed tends to be a printing term, but I double checked and it is in the 7th edition. It makes logical sense to make the leap in terminology for me.

Elizabeth

Anne_LeBouton
01-30-2008, 02:54 PM
It would make sense if there wasn't already a commonly accepted term for that mounting technique (ie-flush mounting). To call it by a name that isn't in common usage only confuses things. Just like there are standard terms in photography, there are also standard terms in framing. Whoever wrote this question didn't do their research properly to find out what the correct, commonly accepted term was. They are confusing a printing technique with a mounting method by calling it "bleed" mounting.

Mark_Levesque
01-30-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm wondering if it is an archaic term.

Anne_LeBouton
01-30-2008, 06:29 PM
I don't know Mark. I put a question on the Grumble to see if anyone had heard of it but so far no one has. The only "bleed" mounting I'm familiar with is when I cut myself on the mount board!

Mark_Levesque
02-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Answers:

Chapter 8: Finishing and Mounting

Q1) The thickness of mat board is usually rated in terms of:

B. ply

C. bleed mounting

Q3) Which of the following is not true of local reduction?

B. It is performed on a dry print