PDA

View Full Version : Chapter 7 CPP Study Questions

Mark_Levesque
01-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Chapter 7: Printing the Positive

Q1) A photographic paper used to create black and white prints from color negatives is called:

A. grade 0 paper
B. RC paper
C. variable-contrast paper
D. panchromatic paper

Q2) Which of the following is not true?

A. Increasing print exposure darkens the print
B. Dodging is accomplished by selectively blocking the light during print exposure
C. It is impossible to both dodge and burn the same print
D. Burning is accomplished by selectively increasing print exposure

Q3) Which of the following is unlikely to affect the contrast of a print?

A. the type of stop bath used
B. the type of developer used
C. the type of enlarger used
D. the surface finish of the paper

KirkDarling
01-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Are these questions directly from the book?

Mark_Levesque
01-29-2008, 01:16 PM
As sources for the questions I used both the book itself (8th edition) and the companion site. I don't think I used any of the questions verbatim, but I may have in this set.

Anne_LeBouton
01-29-2008, 01:25 PM
I got them all right and I've never printed a picture in my life. I've just listened to Gary talk about it for the last 25 years! :rolleyes:

David_A._Lottes
01-29-2008, 01:40 PM
1. D
2. C
3. B

I think......?

Thanks Mark!

Cassandra_Sullivan
01-29-2008, 04:49 PM
For reference - I've got the 9th Edition and Chapter 7 is "Color". These appear to be more from Chapter 6 "Printing in a Darkroom".
Anyway...here's my answers:
1) D
2) C
3) A

Anyone else get a longing to go back into the Darkroom after reading this chapter? :)

Great questions Mark!

ETA: Reread the question and changed my #2 answer. Those 'double-negatives' get me.

TerryMiller
01-29-2008, 05:59 PM
1 D
2 C
3 A

Still wart to do this with out the book:D

Me crazy:D :D

cat_broderick
01-29-2008, 06:35 PM
D,C,A

I HAVE been following along (I started the initial post ;-) ) I just havent been keeping up with posting my answers.

Auralee_Dallas
01-29-2008, 06:43 PM
I think DCA too.

Michael_Larsen
01-29-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm thinking D, C, A as well.

D._Craig_Flory
01-29-2008, 07:19 PM
If I were answering the best answer for Q1 was not given so I'll call it answer 5 ... and the answer is ... Panalure Paper.

KirkDarling
01-29-2008, 09:22 PM
D and
C and
A

BobSmith
01-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Question 3... A is the most unlikely, but all can affect print contrast. A very weak or non existent stop bath effectively changes the development time and therefore contrast.

Had to read #2 several times before C was comprehended correctly

KirkDarling
01-29-2008, 10:48 PM
Bob,

Larry_Weathers
01-29-2008, 11:23 PM
My answers, DCA.

GeorgeannChambers
01-30-2008, 12:36 AM
I will answer ,DC,A

Heather_L._Smith
01-30-2008, 02:10 AM
D
C
A
Although question #2 I had to really think about! I finally decided that the other answers were right, so it had to be C. Ugh.

100 questions on this test, huh??

Having never actually been in a darkroom myself, I've found this last section to be quite challenging.

Elizabeth_Pokela
01-30-2008, 02:37 AM
I have been following but not posting answers so far, but my answers this week are:

#1 D, although you can make a BW print from a color negative on many types of paper (that "best answer" thing throws me.)

#2 I don't know because all are right--I have dodged and burned the same print many times using selective masks made the old fashioned way with scissors, cardboard or other handy material and wire. Anyone else?

#3 A--but it still can affect contrast can't it if not mixed or stored properly?

Elizabeth

Mark_Levesque
01-30-2008, 02:37 AM
Having never actually been in a darkroom myself
You still need a nightlight?!! OMG! :D ;)

Heather_L._Smith
01-30-2008, 03:03 AM
You still need a nightlight?!! OMG! :D ;)

hahaha! As a fellow member of the grammar police, you should have noticed that there was no space in that word!

Besides, I have small children... I use that as my excuse for a nightlight.

BobSmith
01-30-2008, 06:22 AM
#2 I don't know because all are right--I have dodged and burned the same print many times using selective masks made the old fashioned way with scissors, cardboard or other handy material and wire. Anyone else?

My thoughts exactly. I had to read it several times before it clicked. The statement is that that it's "impossible" to do that... therefore its untrue. Sometimes trying to process a double negative plays tricks on the mind.

cat_broderick
01-30-2008, 01:02 PM
Has anyone been using the study questions on the companion site? On the chapter about bw printing...

"The grade of paper that will produce a print with the greatest contrast is:

grade 6
grade 1
grade 10
grade 4"

I was under the impression that papers went up to grade 5. So I chose 4, thinking it was a trick, as 4 would be the best answer. I was incorrect, "grade 6 would be the most contrast."

Anyone have anything to add to this?

Mary_Pargett
01-30-2008, 01:32 PM
What is that companion site for the exam? I used to be able to find it....
thanks.

Heather_L._Smith
01-30-2008, 01:33 PM
I thought papers only went up to 5 as well. That's all it indictated in the book.

cat_broderick
01-30-2008, 01:39 PM
Thanks, I thought I knew that stuff. I wonder how many of the study guide questions are incorrect?

Mark_Levesque
01-30-2008, 02:06 PM
There are several!

cat_broderick
01-30-2008, 02:07 PM
So I am finding. I just went through all 17 chapters questions and was left scratching my head more than once. They are not incorrect on the exam, are they?

Mark_Levesque
01-30-2008, 02:14 PM
They don't write the exam, as far as I know. And it would be pretty hard to know for sure if one was wrong, as you don't get a graded test returned, only the results (and the numbers of the questions you missed).

Cassandra_Sullivan
01-30-2008, 02:18 PM
What is that companion site for the exam? I used to be able to find it....
thanks.

Here's the link to the site for the book:
8th Edition (http://wps.prenhall.com/hss_london_photo_8)
9th Edition (http://wps.prenhall.com/hss_london_photo_9/)

KirkDarling
01-30-2008, 02:18 PM
I was under the impression that papers went up to grade 5. So I chose 4, thinking it was a trick, as 4 would be the best answer. I was incorrect, "grade 6 would be the most contrast."

In a good test, deliberate trick questions are verboten, and from what I saw on the test, it does appear to be well written.

Once upon a time there were papers up to 10, but that was long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away. Today you can get up to 5 in variable contrast papers. Either this question is extremely old or the writer was confused by the fact that there are 12 variable contrast grades--but they're in half-steps so they only go up to 5.

KirkDarling
01-30-2008, 03:13 PM
When I was in the military, I had the opportunity one year to write the standardized promotion test for my particular field. This involved a 120-hour course in writing multiple-choice tests (under a test psychologist who was probably a Nazi).

Presuming the test is well written, the point is to write a question that people who are guessing will fail, but people who actually know the subject will get right. Both are equally desired results--you don't want a guess to be correct, nor do you want to fool people who actually do know the subject.

So--presuming the test is well written--don't overthink the question. If you know the subject, you should see the answer without a lot of torturous consideration. Don't start thinking of extremes or extenuating circumstances.

Mary_Pargett
01-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the link to the companion site. Now I am really feeling stupid....must be that studying is foreign these days!

Mark_Levesque
02-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Answers:

Q1) A photographic paper used to create black and white prints from color negatives is called:

D. panchromatic paper

Q2) Which of the following is not true?

C. It is impossible to both dodge and burn the same print

Q3) Which of the following is unlikely to affect the contrast of a print?