PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Possible Competition Print

Julie_DeGuia
01-28-2008, 07:36 AM
I have gotten lots of great feedback so far which I GREATLY appreciate. Would love some thoughts on this image. I really need to send something in to get printed this week for a local PPW meeting where we are reviewing images to submit in April.

This is a window light portrait. Titles maybe.....
"Pascale"
"Pascale's Portrait"
OK, maybe my "maybes" need some work. Not so great with titles!

Thanks for looking (and adding your comments!) :-)

Julie

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee161/jdgphotography/Forum%20Sharing/PascalePrint.jpg?t=1201509062

Mark_Levesque
01-28-2008, 11:20 AM
I would definitely retouch that blemish on her cheek. Very distracting. But I am thinking this is a fine client image, but lacks the impact to score well in competition.

Jeff_Dachowski
01-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Julia,
I agree with Mark. Something else that I will point out is that this portrait is made with too short of a focal lenght. It seems like her face is distorted.

Jeff

edited to add- I really like the light on her face though. It appears to be window light, and has a very modern feel to the headshot.. I think with a different lens, you might be a lot closer.

D._Craig_Flory
01-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Hi Julie;

Sort of like one game our state lottery has "Pick Four". I will recommend picking four and having them printed. Enter and learn
what competition is like. It's like an athlete that has practiced but
never actually played in a game. Till you enter and experience it you
won't have a basis for improving. With each competition you will get
better. I see this time and again. Someone posts images on here and
they are apprehensive. Towards the time for their next competition
what they post shows an improvement. They know more what to look
for, what to consider entering, and how the images should be shown.

I agree that this is nice for a client image, it will not get above
the average category. But, as I've said before, if you like it enter it to
learn what the judges say.

Heather_L._Smith
01-28-2008, 02:06 PM
I learned sooooo much by watching print competition when I first started (actually, I joined the print committee, which was the best thing I could have ever done). Of course, I poured over loan and showcase books from PPA, too, to get a good idea of what a great competition print looked like.

Julie_DeGuia
01-29-2008, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the honest feedback. Craig, I understand what you are saying and will definitely test the waters this year.... even with a print that didn't get the best feedback here. I need to at least learn the process.

Unfortunately I can't make it to the judging coming up in our state but will try to look for another to attend.

Thanks,
Julie

Don_Chick
01-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Julie,

You have a nice client image here but for competition (imho) your looking at a score in the average/low above average range.

The image doesn't have the impact needed to bring it to the merit category. Also if you were to enter this print it need additional retouching.

Julie_DeGuia
01-30-2008, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the comments Don.... I appreciate it.

I guess it helps to know the person... she is a friend and photograher. I met her at a seminar and she told me she HATES to have her picture taken and never likes pictures of herself. So, I sat her down by the window in the hotel room and took a couple shots. She really liked this one and even used it on her website for a while. As you can see, she is beautiful.... even with the blemish! :-)

But it certainly is impossible to convey all that to a judge!

Julie

D._Craig_Flory
01-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Hi Julie;

You mentioned that it's impossible to convey to a panel of judges everything there is to know about this lady. If you were a judge & this image came up ... what impact does it have ? What is different or unique about it ? Is it telling a story ? Do you see where I'm going ? It's a nice image of her but there is nothing special enough about it. When you are judging your one fervent hope is to have an image come along that makes them all sit up straight and study the image. I put this image in the green ribbon category - nice for a client, or friend, and something that will probably do well with sales. If you own, or have access to, and General Collection or Loan Collection book from PPA competition please compare your image to what you see in the book(s). I hope this helps you gain a bit more insight on what constitutes a competition image.

Julie_DeGuia
02-20-2008, 07:11 AM
Craig - Sorry I never responded to your post. I do understand and that is what I was trying to say in my previous post. I do have one of the General Collection books and have looked through it again and again. There are several portraits of someone just looking at the camera which is why I came back to this one of mine.

Sometimes the title can tell the story... is there a limit on length of a title? For example could I use the title.... And she complained "But I am not very photogenic....."

Thanks again for the help.
Julie

D._Craig_Flory
02-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Craig - Sorry I never responded to your post. I do understand and that is what I was trying to say in my previous post. I do have one of the General Collection books and have looked through it again and again. There are several portraits of someone just looking at the camera which is why I came back to this one of mine.

Sometimes the title can tell the story... is there a limit on length of a title? For example could I use the title.... And she complained "But I am not very photogenic....."

Thanks again for the help.
Julie

Hi Julie;

The rule of thumb is this: One word titles are great and five words is usually maximum .... but that's not a written rule. The thing to keep in mind is this. A member of the print committee is out of sight and reads your title with a microphone. The judges have to hear it, and decide what it means, in a couple of seconds before seeing the image. So shorter is generally better. Also, you have to be able to squeeze it on a label.