PDA

View Full Version : Possible Competition Print

JohnMalboeuf
01-26-2008, 09:36 PM
Any thoughts, I am still new to competition.

Thanks,
John

attachment removed

Nylora_Bruleigh
01-26-2008, 11:36 PM
HI John!

Good to see you here! And posting too! Good for you.

It is hard to tell on an image this size but it looks very flat to me. Also, the womans eyes are smack dab in the middle of the image.

I would try a different crop and play with the contrast/curves a little and see what you come up with! And post again!

Nylora

JohnMalboeuf
01-27-2008, 12:01 AM
Hi Nylora,

Good points, I left the full crop originally because this is her favorite place in her house. She is a sweet lady. I have know her for a long time. Her family asked if I could do this image. She is 93.

I agree, this image is a bit flat. I did fix the crop. Not sure if I can use this image for competition. I was looking at the story telling value.

Thanks,
John

removed attachment

D._Craig_Flory
01-27-2008, 12:12 AM
Hi John;

Even if you get the contrast up, crop well, and position the subject layer perfectly I feel this go no higher than about a 77. There is no impact and nothing different or unique. Now if you photographed this sweet lady possibly putting the needle on a gramaphone record or crocheting an afghan it might work much better. For a studio sample I like it because everyone can relate to their own relatives.

JohnMalboeuf
01-27-2008, 12:25 AM
This lady's name is Clara. I am not sure if I can get her to do another image. She has been sick and I had a very small window to do the this one. She was feeling good that day. That has been rare lately for her. Her nice asked me if I could be available on call when i did this one. She lives at a Greenhouse. I should have gotten an image of her about 10 years ago. She actively worked in the greenhouse for about 65 years. You can see it in the window over her shoulder.

This is another Image I am thinking about.

Thank you,
John

removed attachment

D._Craig_Flory
01-27-2008, 12:32 AM
Hi John;

The greenhouse sounds like the ideal place to hopefully find her on a good day to create some more images !!! Think of the storytelling possibilities with her looking at a plant while she prunes it. How would Norman Rockwell paint a lady of her years ? Tell a story with this wonderful lady.

JohnMalboeuf
01-27-2008, 12:44 AM
I should have thought of that. The day I did the images, she was having trouble walking. I don't think I could have gotten her out to the Greenhouse. I will talk to her Niece. Clara will be 94 in April. I'll have to wait until April or May to redo her images. Hopefully she will be up to it. I will miss the NHPPA competition in April, but there is 2009. I have yet to submit to the PPA print competition.

Mark_Levesque
01-27-2008, 12:48 AM
See if you can short light her, John. And get some light in her eyes. She got plenty of character. Work your subject!

D._Craig_Flory
01-27-2008, 12:48 AM
Hi John;

You could always send a print case to another state as an out of state entry.

JohnMalboeuf
01-27-2008, 02:00 PM
The area I had to work at her house was very tight. I had to use a small reflector and a 14 year old to hold it. I think I should have worked the window light more to my advantage. She wanted to see the greenhouse behind her. I setup a flash to her left and a small reflector to her right. I should have ditched the flash, used the window as the main light and used an additional reflector.

Just to clarify a bit for my NH friends. I am planning on competing at NHPPA in April. What I meant before is that the image of "Clara" will not be there if I cannot reshoot her before the end of March. I hope to get the opportunity.

Other than shipping to/from, what are the costs to send a case to another state?

D._Craig_Flory
01-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Hi John;

The print case fee for Pa. state members is usually $50.00. I believe it is $90.00 for an out of state non-member. There is also an amt. to ship the case back to you.

I'll check on Monday to make sure but I'm pretty sure that's the amount. I can't speak for other states so I hope others will post about their states.

Cassandra_Sullivan
01-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Print case deadline for Massachusetts is on Feb 15th this year, so I'm not sure you'd make that, but for reference, the print case fee for out-of-state non-members is $65, plus $25 to ship it back to you.

JohnMalboeuf
01-27-2008, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the info. How many prints are allowed per case? In NH it is 5 prints MAX per case. I am not sure of the Out of State cost.