PDA

View Full Version : is this competition worthy

lynette_bradshaw
01-26-2008, 02:38 AM
i've always wanted to do a portrait like this and i finally got the chance today. i am considering entering in local print comp next month. i thought about croping it slim for my studio. ive done basic retouching on it but i just love the way it looks...I got the feel that i was going for.

what do you guys think..be gentle please...even if it is not competition worthy i wanted to share it anyway..

Elizabeth_Pokela
01-26-2008, 02:47 AM
I don't see any image here . . .

Elizabeth

lynette_bradshaw
01-26-2008, 03:06 AM
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj203/lblessed340/IMG_0033forwebsite.jpg

lynette_bradshaw
01-26-2008, 03:06 AM
sorry it took me so long...i had to put it on photobucket to put here...

lynette_bradshaw
01-26-2008, 03:24 AM
ok i'm waiting:)

Mark_Levesque
01-26-2008, 03:52 AM
Hi Lynette-

Here's what I see. The eyes look mighty white, like they've been seriously dodged. Scale that back. I'd also like to see a backlight, to give some separation to the child from the background. I am not the hugest fan of shooting up the nostrils, especially when the shadows created by the main light tend to accent them. I do like the idea of this, and would like to see a toned B&W rendition. I am not convinced it would merit, but you enter what you have and learn from the competition for next time. Eventually you morph into Keith. At least, I hope so. :)

D._Craig_Flory
01-26-2008, 12:35 PM
Hi Lynette;

I agree with Mark about the eyes. I see a major problem with the lack of separation. Is the original Raw file this contrasty or is there more detail ? I too like the concept a lot.

lynette_bradshaw
01-26-2008, 02:18 PM
I didn't do anything to the eyes other than bring back the detail after softening. Mark I'm sure this 32 year old woman would love to hear you say she is a child. I had a background light on but I thought it would distract from what I was going for...i will try it in black and white ...i have someothers where she is turned to the side also

lynette_bradshaw
01-26-2008, 02:30 PM
this is the unedited version
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj203/lblessed340/IMG_0033sb.jpg

lynette_bradshaw
01-26-2008, 04:02 PM
anyone have other comments

D._Craig_Flory
01-26-2008, 04:17 PM
Hi Lynette;

Here is how I see it being presented. I hope this helps you see possibilities.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/DivinePeace.jpg

lynette_bradshaw
01-26-2008, 04:22 PM
Craig as always you are awesome. I was planning to print it as a skinny print, but I like this better. what size are you cropping that so it is smaller on the forum,? mine came out so large.

What size crop do you think this would look good cropped in?

D._Craig_Flory
01-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Hi Lynette;

I'm glad you like what I did. I saved it in 72 ppi and 8" x 6.4" which is proportional to a 16" X 20". Even though it would be pixelated, you could change my version to a 16X20 to check the size of the subject layer.

lynette_bradshaw
01-26-2008, 04:59 PM
craig i have only entered 2 prints in our local guild. does this look competition worthy if i leave the separation on the background and crop it similiar or like yours and edit it as I had previously done?

it may look like i edited the whites of the eyes but i didn;t

Don_Chick
01-26-2008, 05:03 PM
anyone have other comments

Hi Lynette,

You have an interesting image here. I like the storytelling and the title you've chosen. However, as I look at your image from a print competition perspective there are some elements that (imo) will keep it in the average/above average category.

http://www.chickphotography.net/ourppa/DivinePeace_01.jpg
The subjects eyes almost look like they are rolling back into the head. I know you wanted have her looking up, but visually, so to speak, you could have had her look a little more forward so the eyes would appear more "normal". While I think you wanted a symmetrical pose, parts of it are not aligned vertically and to me this takes away from the overall impact. Also, the hair creates a "heavy" visual element on one side and again (to me) it takes away from the overall impact.

Don_Chick
01-26-2008, 05:06 PM
craig i have only entered 2 prints in our local guild. does this look competition worthy if i leave the separation on the background and crop it similiar or like yours and edit it as I had previously done?

it may look like i edited the whites of the eyes but i didn;t

Most any image is "competition worthy" as any award is worth using from a marketing perspective (sending your local paper a press release). What you might be asking is "will this score 80 or higher?". This image (imo) it won't score 80 or higher.

D._Craig_Flory
01-26-2008, 05:13 PM
Hi Lynette;

Don brought up a good point. Don't worry about whether, or not, it will score an 80. I think it will be in the high 70's which is "above average". You can submit a news release that you won an award. (in out state that is a red ribbon and it says Award of Quality) When you hang it in your studio clients, and potential clients, will be wowed over your efforts. And the woman will be thrilled too.

So go ahead and enter it. You never know if you might get a judge that likes it and will fight for it. I'm thinking a 78 or 79 but we can both hope for a judge who is in your corner.

Don_Chick
01-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Lynette,

I took a peek at your website...

I think the image of the boy on the left opening of your website has potential, depending on how much of the body is in the image....

lynette_bradshaw
01-26-2008, 07:57 PM
thanks Don

I had to look at my website to remember which image you were speaking. I have wanted to include these type of image, they are my favorite to do, but didn't know if they would pass.

Are you supposed to have words on a competition print

lynette_bradshaw
01-26-2008, 07:59 PM
Hi Lynette;

Don brought up a good point. Don't worry about whether, or not, it will score an 80. I think it will be in the high 70's which is "above average". You can submit a news release that you won an award. (in out state that is a red ribbon and it says Award of Quality) When you hang it in your studio clients, and potential clients, will be wowed over your efforts. And the woman will be thrilled too.

So go ahead and enter it. You never know if you might get a judge that likes it and will fight for it. I'm thinking a 78 or 79 but we can both hope for a judge who is in your corner.

Thank you Craig...I'm going togive it a try in February. What size do you think i should print it? Should I leave the light on the background???

im going to post another one for your opinion

lynette_bradshaw
01-26-2008, 08:04 PM
what your opinions on this one...unedited

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj203/lblessed340/IMG_0035website.jpg

Don_Chick
01-26-2008, 09:11 PM
thanks Don

I had to look at my website to remember which image you were speaking. I have wanted to include these type of image, they are my favorite to do, but didn't know if they would pass.

Are you supposed to have words on a competition print

You can have words on a print. But make sure it contributes to the impact and doesn't take away.

D._Craig_Flory
01-26-2008, 11:24 PM
Hi Lynette;

I like !!! Here is how I see it being worked and presented. I named it "Power of Prayer" . How did I do ?

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/PowerofPrayer.jpg

lynette_bradshaw
01-27-2008, 12:33 AM
i really like this...im going to edit it and put it back up tomorrow...i love the title also..

thanks Craig