PDA

View Full Version : Return of the Print Case

Jackie_Haggerty
01-26-2008, 02:33 AM
It was a nice surprise to see my print case on the doorstep today from nationals! I wasn't expecting it for a couple of more months. Opening the case, it was fun to see the form - dated May 23, 2007. Great fun!!

Cheri_MacCallum
01-26-2008, 03:26 AM
I hope mine gets to me!!! I was living in MN at the time I sent it in May. Jim assured me that when shipped they would go by the updated ppa database and not my return address that I filled out...we'll see. I have my fingers crossed!

Peter_Bauer
01-26-2008, 05:10 AM
Everything was packed for State in the "carry-on" case when the "shipping" case was returned today -- repacked and ready to go out Monday!
Pete

Barry_Hayes
01-26-2008, 06:03 AM
Cheri don't count on it. Last year my case went to my old apartment and sat on the porch outside for over a week even though I had updated. Of course you'd think the ups driver would realize nobody lived there but nooo..
So let somebody at your old address know just in case.

Cheri_MacCallum
01-26-2008, 02:42 PM
Yep, same here! That's why I'm afraid!!! We rented in MN and told the owner about the situation.

Linda_Gregory
01-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Mine made it back, now to fill it again! I have two for state, got to get a few more in my head and then in the printer!

Cheri, good luck. I know those volunteers work hard to get things right but then...things happen. Letting someone there know is a great way to proceed. Let us know what happens.

Cheri_MacCallum
01-26-2008, 07:15 PM
I've emailed my concerns to Jim Dingwell, he told me they would ship according to the database...we'll see. He also told me the same thing last year and it didn't happen, it went to the old address I filled out. It makes it hard for those who have moved because there's 9-10 months in between sending the case and getting it back! If it does go to my former address, hopefully the new tenants will send it to me. Our former landlord is supposed to be alerting them to the situation!

Jane_Lydick_Staid
01-26-2008, 07:49 PM
I always wonder what shape my case will be in when I get it back. I had one come back with a broken handle and one that was in a fire at UPS and my prints got all wet.

Any good prices on 20x24 cases?

Marc_Benjamin
01-31-2008, 11:41 PM
Mines (I have one of the ppa old logo'ed tenba ones) came back Monday and it looked good!

Mark_Levesque
02-01-2008, 01:39 AM
Still no sign of mine.

Anne_LeBouton
02-01-2008, 01:55 AM
Tuesday we had a big storm move in. It started sleeting around noon so we closed and went home. Later in the day, it wasn't looking as bad a predicted and Gary wanted to go back in to get some things done. He got to the studio and found his print case leaning against the door. Good thing we have a porch which kept the snow off it. The case is in pretty bad shape and we need to get a new one this year, but still don't want the contents getting wet.

andiegoodman
02-01-2008, 04:50 AM
Mine was sitting on the doorstep at my old house. Good thing I stopped by there today to pick up some stuff. Nasty rain coming in tonight.

Meanwhile, every print was returned with some sort of damage and are now unusable. Drat! :(

Don_Chick
02-01-2008, 05:23 AM
Mine came back on Tuesday. Every print returned (3) had damage. One had a crease the entire distance (16") like someone sat on it or something. At least the case is finally home to use in my state competition..

Rick_Massarini
02-01-2008, 07:21 AM
... every print was returned with some sort of damage and are now unusable. Drat! :(

The print crew takes as much care as is possible to prevent damage to the prints, but with all the handling that the print sees, it's not uncommon to have competition prints returned in less than pristine condition. When people complain about their print getting a scratch on it or a corner slightly bent, my usual response is to invite them to come to the national judging and spend a week with our print handlers, then they usually go home with much more of an appreciation for the amount of handling that the images get during the judging process, and are usually a little more forgiving of that little ding on the print. Remember, the scope of the National judging is HUGE - much larger than any state or regional judging - we're talking about handling thousands of print cases and many thousands of individual prints. The national judging takes nearly a full week to complete while runnning 5 or 6 juries all day long. Our print handlers treat each print like it was their own print, but occasionally, damage to a print does ocurr. Many of the images have already seen some damage when we receive them, since many have already been to state and regional judgings. We're all so concerned with protecting the prints that occasionally a damaged print will come up on a turntable and I'll hear a juror say "Oh My God, did we do that to that print?" The jurors are aware of the amount of handling an image receives, and do not take off points for a damaged print, since they know that no one would intentionally send in a print that was creased or severely damaged (although many prints "Sealed" at regional competitions arrive already damaged from it's experience at the regional competition. And if you have requested a print critique, in many cases you'll receive an apology from the critiquing judge for obvious damage that may have been inflicted by one of our handlers, but in most cases, any damage was not the fault of a PPA-PEC print handler.

Just FYI, so you'll understand what a print goes through - here's the process...
The print cases are all shipped cross country to Lincoln NE, where they are opened, numbered, and separated and packed into separate carts so that no two images from a maker can come up one behind another - usually the four images end up in separate judging rooms. The train of carts containing the thousands of images is shipped from Lincoln Nebrasks cross country to Daytona, Florida. The carts are opened and wheeled into separate judging rooms for judging. After the images are judged, if they are not accepted, they are carried to a sorting room where they are placed back into case number order for return to the maker. If the image is accepted, it is carried to a Loan room where it is judged for Loan. After the Loan judging, the prints are carried back to a sorting room to be placed back into case number order. Thise prints requiring critiques, are carried to a critique room, where they are again sorted into case number order for critiquing. These are sorted and held until all four of the images return to the room before being sent to the juror for the actual critique. After critiquing, the image is sent to the sorting room, where Non-Accepted, Accepted, and Loan prints are separated into case number order. After all of the prints are judged and are in the sorting rooms, the images are sorted into case number order and checked to be sure that all are present. After checking, the prints are again packed into the shipping carts, and shipped back to Lincoln, Nebraska where they are stored until the convention. Before the convention, the print crates are shipped again across country, this year, to Tampa - next year to Phoenix, where they are removed from the crates, corners added, and hung at the exhibition. After the convention, the prints are taken down from the exhibit rods, packed back into the shipping crates and shipped cross country to Lincoln, Nebraska agagin, where they are removed and placed back into your print case and entrusted to a shippng company to return them to you. Whew !!!
With all this handling, is it unreasonable to asume that somewhere in all that shipping and handling, that the prints could get jostled roughly and scratched? I think it is a credit to the print handling crew that the prints are returned in as good a condition as they are! Much of the damage to prints is inflicted by the shipping companies that transport them. A typical print gets 4 cross-country trips in the shipping crates and two trips in your print case. How many of you out there have never received a damaged package from UPS, Airborne, or FedEx? I get them all the time.

In my opinion, it is best to plan on a competiton print being returned in less than pristine condition. Think of the cost of the print as part of the cost of participating in the competition. If you wish to display your competition prints in your studio and don't want any scratches on them, you may wish to order two copies from your lab when you initially print them (most labs offer a reduced price on a second duplicate print) and use the second print for your studio wall.

I'm not trying to make excuses for the Print Handling Crew, since, in my opiniion, the volunteers are some of the finest people that I have ever had the honor to have worked with, and this bunch of dedicated volunteers give up a full week of their life and perform an invaluable service for the members of this association for nothing more than a "Thank-You". BUT - when you're handling many thousands of prints many many times, it becomes logistically impossible to do this without stacking prints on top of prints, and leaning prints against other prints and sometimes this causes scratches on the lamination or lacquer. As I said earlier, the national judging is always looking for volunteer print handlers, why not come down to Daytona and get a first hand feel for what's involved !!! Who knows, you might have a good time and want to become one of our "regulars".

Don_Chick
02-01-2008, 01:32 PM
I'm not trying to make excuses for the Print Handling Crew, since, in my opiniion, the volunteers are some of the finest people that I have ever had the honor to have worked with, and this bunch of dedicated volunteers give up a full week of their life and perform an invaluable service for the members of this association for nothing more than a "Thank-You".

Rick,

It's nothing personal, honest.

I assume full responsibility when signing the entry form and know they go through a lot of handling in the process. I was Print Chair in NH a couple years ago and got a scathing email from an out-of-state entrant who wanted compensation for the damage done to their prints. I personally had packed the case and knew that they were not damaged when they left our print room. Once the shipping company gets them who knows what happens. With only the straps closing the case, it may well be that the guy driving the UPS truck looks at them during his lunch break!

Thank you for all the effort you put into the print competition. Thank you too to all the other volunteers giving-back to the PPA print competition.

Jane_Lydick_Staid
02-01-2008, 03:38 PM
My case hasnt come back yet, but I saw some damage to my images at the print display. Oh well, I expected it.

We should have a contest to see who's came back in the worst shape.

D._Craig_Flory
02-01-2008, 04:26 PM
A friend of mine, Jerry Pokorny, did this. He would order 3 copies of every competition image. Why, you ask ? One reason has already come out in the thread ... if one got damaged. The other reason is because he was very good. The 3rd copy was when an image went loan and he didn't get it back. He would at least have one to display in the studio.

Peter_Bauer
02-02-2008, 04:32 AM
Rick, I understand all of the handling that's required, but I saw my prints on the wall in Tampa and I see them now in my studio, and the marks on the mats and the scratches on the prints today are certainly not what I saw hanging in Tampa. (Nor did the packing on receipt reflect the care with which I sent my prints.)

"It's not over until the prints are home." It's important that everyone understand that **all** handling, from Day One to Day Last, is exactly the same. Just because a print has been judged doesn't mean that it's life is over....

Please remind folks that each and every print is important to the maker, even after the judging is over.

Pete

Don_Chick
02-02-2008, 04:40 AM
Please remind folks that each and every print is important to the maker, even after the judging is over.

Especially if you wanted to stick the ribbons on it and give it to the person who posed for you....

Cheri_MacCallum
02-02-2008, 05:59 AM
No sign of mine yet either

...on a side note, MARK, what's up with that avatar??? Were you having a bad day???

DiannaAllen
02-02-2008, 06:54 AM
Still have not received mine....:(
Guess that's what I get for living in the sticks!

andiegoodman
02-02-2008, 06:56 AM
Rick, having worked on Print Committee at the state (yep, with Don) and regional. I appreciate what goes on at National. When I said that my prints came back damaged, I was not speaking of dings in the corners. They had stuff all over them. One high key came back with black stuff on it, one looked like it stuck to another print (not from me - no lacquer).

I totally understand that stuff happens but when 4 out of 4 prints are damaged, one has to wonder, especially when the straps were lose...not how I sent it in.

By the end of the week, everyone must be totally exhausted but a little more care would be sweet, not just in Daytona but when packing up at convention as well.

Mark_Levesque
02-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Mine came in yesterday, but I have yet to open it and check the contents.

Cheri, what do you mean? LOL I was actually having a lot of fun at the time.

Linda_Gregory
02-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Rick, I understand all of the handling that's required, but I saw my prints on the wall in Tampa and I see them now in my studio, and the marks on the mats and the scratches on the prints today are certainly not what I saw hanging in Tampa. (Nor did the packing on receipt reflect the care with which I sent my prints.)

"It's not over until the prints are home." It's important that everyone understand that **all** handling, from Day One to Day Last, is exactly the same. Just because a print has been judged doesn't mean that it's life is over....

Pete

Pete,

I was one of those volunteers that helped take the display down in Tampa. Shoulda been there. Not one volunteer was at all careless. Guess I'm getting defensive because having been there as a volunteer and getting nothing out of it except missing other things I could have been doing I AM starting to take offense to this thread.

We all wore gloves. (I am working in my avatar...see the gloves?) You may wish to discuss with your fellow print makers about their mounting choices as the back of their print could have been what scratched yours. You may want to discuss handling by your carrier and you may want to discuss this with the venue in Tampa who tried to take down the display area with print still hanging. That was a big whoopee on our parts as we did not wish to be run down by their motorized equipment.

Now, when we put things on the crates, they had more handling to go to get to you. The crates were shippped back to Nebraska, sorted and put in your case and then shipped to you. And we always want them back in a week's time!

I was fortunate to have FOUR hang this year and they definitely don't look the same as when I sent them but they're back, I can reprint if I want but I'm hard pressed to chastise volunteers who work hard and very quick training if something goes wrong.

So everyone, please let this thread die now because I'm an easy going person getting riled at the accusations.

Jackie_Haggerty
02-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Pete,

Guess I'm getting defensive because having been there as a volunteer and getting nothing out of it except missing other things I could have been doing I AM starting to take offense to this thread.

Dear, Dear Linda- do not take offense. The thread started out in happiness. :)

D._Craig_Flory
02-02-2008, 02:46 PM
For anyone going for Craftsman or Master > you do get merits for helping with the prints. Maybe if they had a lot more willing hands it would go much better. Rick ... would more volunteers be a good thing ???

And, as I said earlier, do like my friend and already have a "just in case" copy of each image in case of damage and then don't worry.

D._Craig_Flory
02-02-2008, 03:04 PM
No sign of mine yet either

...on a side note, MARK, what's up with that avatar??? Were you having a bad day???

Hi Cheri;

There is a good reason behind Mark having his tongue out on his latest avatar. He tried out the scene from "A Christmas Story" and tried licking a flagpole. Mark found out, the hard way, that your tongue will freeze fast to the metal. After the fire department got him loose, the doctors at the ER told him he must keep his tongue out like that for the next month. Now you know.:D :D :D

Michael_Gan
02-02-2008, 04:14 PM
In defense of the print handlers, I can attest to the care they give for every print and for them to do so well with over 7000 images is remarkable.

I do notice that there where a lot of prints that were marred by whatever print was on on top of there's. You gould actually see 6x8 square marks from whatever label was put on the back of some of these prints. I'm sure the rules for what should be stuck on the back of the prints will be examined closely. For me, I'm so used to my images getting badly dinged up. Since I print in-house now, no worries ;)

Cheri_MacCallum
02-02-2008, 04:23 PM
He tried out the scene from "A Christmas Story" and tried licking a flagpole.

:D

I do notice that there where a lot of prints that were marred by whatever print was on on top of there's. You gould actually see 6x8 square marks from whatever label was put on the back of some of these prints.

This happens when prints aren't allowed to dry long enough before packing. Whatever is on top of the print, the shape gets embedded into the lacquer. When getting prints back from the lab, they should sit for several days to let all the lacquer dry well.

Mark_Levesque
02-02-2008, 05:01 PM
Well, when I get caught on the wrong side of the camera I am apt to spoil others' fun. But if you say "I dare you"... ;)

Jackie_Haggerty
02-02-2008, 10:19 PM
For anyone going for Craftsman or Master > you do get merits for helping with the prints. Maybe if they had a lot more willing hands it would go much better. Rick ... would more volunteers be a good thing ???

You do realize you just set yourself up, right? :)

D._Craig_Flory
02-02-2008, 11:03 PM
You do realize you just set yourself up, right? :)

Hi Jackie;

Except ... I already am a Craftsman and now have 10 "other" merits towards Master so I don't need more service merits. I'll get two more at the end of the year from serving as C.P.P. liaison which will give me the required 12. And, at age 60 that is way too much work.

Linda_Gregory
02-02-2008, 11:08 PM
But to help.....if you're needed, do merits matter? I volunteered before I knew a merit was a part of it.

I found I would get one when I helped set up. I only got one but again volunteered to help take it down. To volunteer for no reward is the best!

Michael_Gan
02-02-2008, 11:10 PM
Hi Jackie;

Except ... I already am a Craftsman and now have 10 "other" merits towards Master so I don't need more service merits. I'll get two more at the end of the year from serving as C.P.P. liaison which will give me the required 12. And, at age 60 that is way too much work.
Hehe D.C. I think what Jackie's getting at is PPA is going to expect you to volunteer for print handling duties;)

Rick_Massarini
02-03-2008, 07:48 AM
As Linda noted in her earlier reply, the prints were not packed into your print cases at the end of the convention. We did that for a bunch of years and it was a major headache, plus a big additional cost to ship the empty cases across country to the show to be repacked. When you have a bunch of people trying to pack the print cases at the convention, you end up with prints in the wrong cases and prints left over after the show is packed up that never found their way back into the cases.

The prints are placed into shipping crates. The crates are about 4 feet wide, 5 feet tall and 2 feet deep and have two shelves. Each crate holds several hundred prints standing on end, one next to another in case number order, and has a wooden door on the front that secures the crate. This is how the prints travel to and from the judging and to and from the exhibition. The prints are unpacked from the print cases and repacked into the print cases back in Lincoln, Nebraska by PPA Staff people. By repacking them in Nebraska, it is possible for the PPA Staff people to check that the prints are in the correct cases. The print handlers at the judging and the exhibition, never see the print cases. We work from the print crates. I really believe that most of the damage that you are seeing in your prints can probably be attributed to handling by the shipping carriers, be it the shipping company who transports the crates or the delivery company who returned it back to you from Nebraska. The print handlers at the convention and at the judging never handle a print without wearing white cotton gloves.

Also - yes, print handlers do receive one service merit for their service, but what many don't know is that many, if not most of the print handlers don't need the merits for their degrees, most of them have all the merits that they need for any degree they wish, and many have both their Masters and their Craftsmen's degrees and some have lots of bars too - so they really don't need that extra service merit. They continue to volunteer their time to make the exhibition a success because they realize just how important that exhibition is for all of our 20,000 members, and understand that without that competition and exhibiton there would be no national exhibition merits for all those seeking their Masters degrees. Mostly, they do it to help this association and it's members - because they care! And I say Thank You again to all of those who gave up valuable convention time to help set up and take down the exhibit.

Rick_Massarini
02-03-2008, 08:12 AM
[QUOTE=D. Craig Flory;127913] ... would more volunteers be a good thing ???

This year, we had a sufficient number of volunteers to do the job smoothly.

I always encourage volunteerism, since if you stop encouraging volunteers, one day you'll find yourself out there all alone with people not coming in to help thinking that you have enough people already. We worked two print setup and takedown crews this year - one started on the Loan Collection and the other started with the General Collection. Since (after the judging is completed and the prints sorted into numerical order), they're put up and taken down in case number order - it expedites the repacking process by keeping the prints in order). A couple of people place the names on the corners and the corners on the prints, while a crew of "runners" bring the prints to the exhibition "cubicles" to be hung - always in order. The prints are taken down in the same manner with the "runners" bringing the prints to a pair of volunteers who pack them back into the same crates out of which they came - again, in case number order. We started around noon setting up the show and were finished around 630PM. Taking down the prints took much less time and we accomplished that in about 3 hours mostly beacuse we did not have to place the names and label corners on the prints - we just had to check the numbers to be sure they were all still in order.
Too many people there would probably lead to chaos - too few and you end up with a couple very long days of work. We had a satisfactory number of print crew volunteers at the convention (and that is probably because some were going to be there attending the convention and decided to help). Where we can usually use additional help is at the actual judging, (because there's no convention going on at that time in Daytona, so helping there requires giving up time, plus travel and rooming expenses - plus that's all day long for nearly a week).

Rick_Massarini
02-03-2008, 08:16 AM
And, at age 60 that is way too much work.

Hey DC - you only have a couple of years on me... I'm right up there myself...

Keith_A_Howe
02-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Hi Jackie;

I am already a Craftsmen, I am already a Master and a Master Atist. I have 68 service merits. Why should I continue to volunteer? Because you get more out of it then just a merit. I have never volunteered for anything that I didn't walk away with way more value than I gave. There are people working at national judging who are over 60. That excuse doesn't cut it.

D. Craig, If you don't want to work print crew or any other job, that's fine by me. But please don't give beginners the idea that merits and degrees are the only reason why anyone would want to serve this organization.

Keith

D._Craig_Flory
02-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Hi Keith;

I was trying to give an extra reason to volunteer over & beyond simply doing it because someone cares. I served on our state's print committee for many years and got a lot of satisfaction from helping. I hold our state's service degree, with a bar, from all my years of volunteering for a lot of things. I would never belittle helping for the sake of helping. It's just not something I could do now given my arthritis and asthma.

Keith_A_Howe
02-03-2008, 09:42 PM
D. Craig, I was sure you have done your fair share and more through the years. The wording of your post just made it sound as if merits and degrees were the main reason for volunteering. I would hate for a newcomer to get that misguided idea when we all know you didn't mean it that way.

Keith

Jeff_Dachowski
02-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Rick,
I spoke with Jim for a minute at IUSA, and thanked him for all the garbage he has to put up with just to get the comp together.

One thing I have a question about...Why can't the judging be in Phoenix this year, and have all of the images shipped there, collated, placed in storage, then judged, and placed in storage until the convention, and then shipped to the maker from Phoenix? This would, I assume save a ton of transportation costs and extra handling during the course of the year. Then all cases would be where the prints are.

Jeff

Mark_Levesque
02-04-2008, 06:22 PM
All my prints came back in reasonable shape. A little more wear on the ones that hung, but that is to be expected.

Michael_Gan
02-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Rick,
I spoke with Jim for a minute at IUSA, and thanked him for all the garbage he has to put up with just to get the comp together.

One thing I have a question about...Why can't the judging be in Phoenix this year, and have all of the images shipped there, collated, placed in storage, then judged, and placed in storage until the convention, and then shipped to the maker from Phoenix? This would, I assume save a ton of transportation costs and extra handling during the course of the year. Then all cases would be where the prints are.

JeffI'm only guessing with my "event coordinator" hat on. But it looks like PPA commits to a multi-year contract on the site to keep the cost down. For example, since we have been in Pasadena for the Western States Convention for quite a few years, the conference center we use is extremely inexpensive. Also, the hotels will make a special deal for the room rates on multi year block rates.

The cost of the site probably far outweighs the cost of transporting cases. Site costs could increase as high as a $50K differential.

Rick_Massarini
02-05-2008, 06:34 AM
Jim Dingwell is the PEC Administrator and handles all the arrangements for the location, transportation, financial and other logistics of the judging. The Photographic Exhibition Committee has worked out a rather farvorable arrangement with the Daytona Beach Commminity College in Daytona Beach Florida to allow the PEC to use most of their huge two story photographic arts and communications building for the week of the judging. We use a heck of a lot of space for the judging. If we tried to use a hotel, we would be limited for space, since we use much more space for the judging than would normally be considered appropriate for a convention or other event that would be bringing in the same number of hotel room nights. The facility is excellent, with many classrooms that we can use for judging rooms (we use as many as seven judging rooms when you include the wedding CD judging rooms and the classroom for the judging class), three classrooms that we use for video critiques, and two large commercial studios that we use for setup storage and final print sorting. The facility also has an auditorium that we use for sorting the Loan Collection and which the ASP uses for their Travelling Loan and Medallion judging and for the judges and workers meetings. There are also sufficient classrooms to use for the judging class without being cramped for space. The facility is well suited to handle such an event, plus the judging is normally held during the summer when many of the students are out of school, so we have the place almost completely to ourselves. Additionally, since the college is a major photography school in the southeast, the faculty of the college are very supportive of our having the judging at their facility (it can be quite prestigious for a photography school to host the PPA International Judging). Also, since it is a photography school, we are able to pick up a few additional volunteers from the student body. I'm not privy to the financial issues of the PEC, but I'm sure that the cost of transporting the print crates and equipment across country would be small compared to the cost of renting the amount of hotel meeting room space that we would require for the event. If we were to have to hold the event at a hotel in Phoenix, the PEC would probably save money on shipping, but then they would incur tremendous additonal cost in the meeting room space and the storage fees for all the prints from July through January.

Regarding the cases being where the prints are, the issue goes a lot deeper than that. With the International Judging, we're not talking about a few hundred cases, we're talking a few thousand cases. The magnitude of the job is 10 times that of a regional. It takes a lot of time to open the cases and number the prints - this job takes a crew in Lincoln several weeks to do in advance of the judging. It would be logistically impossible to open the cases, log in all the entries, and number sort, and shuffle all the prints at the judging and complete the job efficiently in a timely manner. If all of those print cases plus all of the judging and exhibition equipment were to be stored in the convention city, the storage cost would be phenomenal as opposed to storing them in the home town of the PEC Administrator. Then after the exhibition is over, it takes a lot of time to check all of the prints to be sure that they are all returned to the correct maker - that would require additional hotel time and time away from the studio for the PEC volunteers - right now, all that repacking is done by Jim and his staff back in Lincoln. I would think that if the unpacking, computer entry, numbering, sorting, judging, storage, exhibition and repacking were to be done at the convention city, then the overal cost of all the costs of judging would go up drastically, and the entry fee for submitting a print case would also have to go up quite a bit. Jim and the PEC do their best to keep cost under control so that the entry fee can be kept where it is. There are a lot of expenses associated with putting together the International Judging that few realize. It is truly a mega-job, and my hat goes off to anybody who is willing to take on such a job in addition to running a full time studio !!!

DiannaAllen
02-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Yeah got mine today

Jeff_Dachowski
02-06-2008, 09:31 PM
I got mine yesterday, and it had my loan corner in it. Thanks to whoever made that happen!!!

Jeff

Cheri_MacCallum
02-06-2008, 11:14 PM
...still waiting...getting worried...

Jane_Lydick_Staid
02-06-2008, 11:28 PM
Finally got mine today. The prints were in pretty good shape and the handle is still attached.

Cheri_MacCallum
02-06-2008, 11:35 PM
15 minutes after I posted last, I got mine. YAY!!!! But this is a first for me. PPA kept my loan prints. I know that some get kept but this is the first time in 14 years that MY loan prints were kept!!!

Michael_Gan
Got three back. One from Kodak and two from PPA. Still waiting on one.

Lori_Clapp
Got mine today - just in time to fill it again! Haven't opened it yet though.

Lori_Clapp
02-06-2008, 11:36 PM
15 minutes after I posted last, I got mine. But this is a first for me. PPA kept my loan prints. I know that some get kept but this is the first time in 14 years one of my loan prints were kept!!!

I thought they kept them all. Don't they send them all around to wherever they go, the whole group of them? Or do they only keep some of them?

Linda_Gregory
02-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Lori,

Your loan one will be missing!

Hmmm....so they take the loan one, how do they return it? I know, some never get them back but some do. How? Just not in a print case?

Cheri_MacCallum
02-06-2008, 11:51 PM
I thought they kept them all. Don't they send them all around to wherever they go, the whole group of them? Or do they only keep some of them?

They've never kept any of mine!

Michael_Gan
02-07-2008, 01:24 AM
Hey! They shorted Leslie two of her three loan corners :(

Linda_Gregory
02-07-2008, 02:33 AM
Cheri, A goal to strive for....stealable art?? HAHAHA!! That's what I'm going to call mine and hope....

Cheri_MacCallum
02-07-2008, 02:39 AM
Cheri, A goal to strive for....stealable art??

:D Too funny!

Marc_Benjamin
02-07-2008, 06:39 AM
They kept my loan and though I'm not sure if I ever did get the corner. Btw, anyone here ever requested the loan collection for their local display or convention?

Rick_Massarini
02-07-2008, 07:03 AM

This reply is, of course, unofficial - but for many years, all "Loan" prints were retained by PPA as a Loan Collection which was available for exhibition upon request, then at some point in time (my memory fails me as to the year) PPA started returning the Loan prints to the makers. Last year, PPA decided to again start retaining the Loan Collection prints and they will be placed into a travelling exhibition. I heard that the PP of Korea has asked for this year's PPA Loan Collection to be displayed at their national convention. As to whether or when the Loan prints will be returned, I do not know. They may become part of a permanent PPA collection. Personally, I think that would be considered quite an honor that your image was to be placed into a permanent Loan Collection of the PPA!

Rick_Massarini
02-07-2008, 07:06 AM
Got three back. One from Kodak and two from PPA. Still waiting on one.

One from Kodak? How does that work? It wasn't one sent in to the PPA competition was it? Because as far as I know, there were no Kodak people pulling any images out of the print room in Daytona? Was it a Gallery Elite Award Print??

Cheri_MacCallum
02-07-2008, 01:44 PM
I think that would be considered quite an honor that your image was to be placed into a permanent Loan Collection of the PPA!

Oh it is...I was just surprised!!! :D

Sonya_Swain
02-09-2008, 07:58 AM
Which print case is everyone using?

Mark_Levesque
02-09-2008, 01:07 PM
I have an el cheapo Fiberbilt case that I send to parts unknown where they hold it hostage for months, and a Tenba Airbook that I have for competitions in which I have a reasonable expectation of seeing it again in my lifetime. LOL

I bought the Fiberbilt first, because I had to have a case. It was ~$100. It's kind of yucky (technical term). Then I saw this gorgeous case another photographer brought to NH last year. I was going OMG, and that's before I saw the contents. When I discovered I was going to need another case before PPANE last summer, I procrastinated* until the last minute and had to get another case. I found the Tenba Airbook (http://www.kenknight.com/teaifor16x20.html) that was actually in stock at kenknight.com, and since it was stocked close to where I live I didn't have to pay for overnight shipping to get it in time (to hand carry it to the staging place, right at the deadline. LOL) It was $198 (plus a reasonable amount to ship.) It's WAAAAAAAY better. Now if I can only find a way to improve the contents...

*I've been told I could be a world class procrastinator, if I could only get around to it.

Marc_Benjamin
02-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Which print case is everyone using?

http://www.kickstep.com/ppa/PPA_Case4.jpg

Michael_Gan
02-10-2008, 07:50 PM
One from Kodak? How does that work? It wasn't one sent in to the PPA competition was it? Because as far as I know, there were no Kodak people pulling any images out of the print room in Daytona? Was it a Gallery Elite Award Print?? No, we had to send a completely different case to Kodak. We had three cases tied up at PPA (Two general and one EI). Those cases looked like Marc's as pictured, and we got them for an incredible price of $85 each. We had to buy another one for the Kodak award and it set us back nearly 400 clams!

Rick_Massarini
02-10-2008, 08:24 PM
I'm just to darn cheap to buy the really nice padded Tenba cases. I have about 5 or 6 of the old Fiberbilt cases that look like they've been through a war, but they still close well and have intact handles, so I'll keep using them...

For those out there looking for the old style hard cases, you can get them direct from PrintFile - the same company that makes the plastic negative storage pages that many of us have used over the years. The cases are reasonably priced at around $100 for the 16x20 with the 20x24 being a bit more. We even got a special code from them that allowed our state association members (PPLA) to get an additional discount on cases purchased directly. PPLA has also made arrangements with Dury's Photo in Nashville to keep some in stock for quick delivery for our members - so if you're looking for a print case quickly, give Dury's a call.

Michael_Gan
02-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Hey Rick, we, on the forum heard that several members got their fiberbilts rejected. Were they in real bad shape, or something?

Jackie_Haggerty
02-10-2008, 10:29 PM
I really like my print case, there is no need to pack it with any excess materials to make it feel like your prints are protected- the inside is padded, there is a hard central core shell, and the outside is padded as well. There are even padded dividers to add between your prints. Once, when I took it to UPS to ship it somewhere, the UPS man asked me where the shipping box was for it. I told him that is is the shipping box. :D He said it looked to nice to ship, but stuck a tag on it anyway, and off it went!

Here's a link:

http://www.tallyns.com/tpp/amazing/itemdesc.asp?CartId={0EB26C4F-9496-4EVERESTE22-93C2-8DCD644DF6D8}&ic=T%2FS%2DPCC&eq=&Tp=http://www.tallyns.com/tpp/amazing/itemdesc.asp?CartId={0EB26C4F-9496-4EVERESTE22-93C2-8DCD644DF6D8}&ic=T%2FS%2DPCC&eq=&Tp=

Rick_Massarini
02-11-2008, 05:09 AM
Hey Rick, we, on the forum heard that several members got their fiberbilts rejected. Were they in real bad shape, or something?

I talked with Jim Dingwell about that issue and it was also discussed it in a forum thread back in August. Jim posted a formal reply to the forum on the thread - you may be able to look it up in the archives - but it all boils down to old worn out cases, those missing straps and handles, etc will not be accepted as "approved" print cases. As of right now, where the line is drawn has not been clearly delineated, and the PEC is supposed to be preparing some firm guidelines regarding what comprises an "approved" print case. If I hear any firm guidelines, I'll post them as soon as I see an official statement. I was a bit surprised by the part about missing handles making a case "not-approved" since I have one case that had the handle ripped off one side (in shipping by UPS) - so I just cut the rest of the handle off the case and have used it several times as a shipping case without a handle. I'll probably have to retire that one myself.

I have also heard that one idea under consideration is a program where there will be no print case specifications at all, but you don't get your prints back after the show. You will be able to send in your prints in any kind of carton, lab shipping box etc, but the random carton will be discarded after opening, and prints submitted in these cartons will not be returned after the competition, they will be discarded after the judging or exhibition. This might be a good idea for those who feel that the return shipping charges have now become so high that they can reprint their images for less than the return shipping charges, and the reprint will not be scratched from being through the competition process... If this program goes into effect, I'll let you know when I hear something official.

Rick_Massarini
02-11-2008, 05:15 AM
http://www.kickstep.com/ppa/PPA_Case4.jpg

That case looks great for hand carrying prints to a judging, but just what does it cost to ship that huge case cross-country??? Overnight shipping is probably more more than what it costs to make the prints !!!

Marc_Benjamin
02-11-2008, 06:27 AM
That case looks great for hand carrying prints to a judging, but just what does it cost to ship that huge case cross-country??? Overnight shipping is probably more more than what it costs to make the prints !!!

DHL ground is around $10, 2 day is $60 and overnight is around $90 .