PDA

View Full Version : for CC--any input welcome

Elizabeth_Pokela
01-25-2008, 10:09 PM
Here is one I got advice on in Tampa. I don't know how to create those fancy frames, but check this out anyway. The black represents where the image has been cropped. The title has been "Living History" because it is of an ancient working farm in Norway, but for this type of print comp it seems a little unexciting.

Thanks,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth_Pokela
01-26-2008, 01:03 AM
Granted it's only been 3 hours since I posted on a Friday night, but over 20 views and no comments? Yikes.

DianeDavis
01-26-2008, 01:46 AM
I'm not so much on critique- but I am having a hard time seeing it so little because there is a lot of detail that mushes together. Is it possible to post it bigger?

(No, I don't know how :(- ask Mark L., he knows EVERYTHING!)

Mark_Levesque
01-26-2008, 03:00 AM
(No, I don't know how - ask Mark L., he knows EVERYTHING!)
Obviously you have not met my daughter, who is convinced I don't know a thing. :D

Actually, it's really simple. If you have your own website, size the file at something like 600-800 pixels on the long side, and host it there, then link it here, using IMG tags.

Elizabeth_Pokela
01-26-2008, 03:44 AM
Okay Mark, my tech guru--my website, which is not technically live, has a long side size of 950 pixels. How about a web gallery image link? I'll try that. I didn't realize 'til I already posted that it was so tiny.

E

Elizabeth_Pokela
01-26-2008, 03:53 AM
Trying again: okay, not. My website is, yes, *STILL* under construction. Working with Big Folio to resolve issues. Probably won't be live before next week. Oh well. I thought the image would be larger n the board.

Elizabeth

Mark_Levesque
01-26-2008, 04:20 AM
http://www.markspixels.com/images/epokela1.jpg

Elizabeth_Pokela
01-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Thanks Mark--any comments anyone?

D._Craig_Flory
01-26-2008, 02:25 PM
Hi Elizabeth;

Ok, now I see some subjects. I would crop and work around the grazing horse as your center of interest. It needs to go a good bit deeper. I'll study it more and come back. I've got a family group consultation in a few minutes.

Elizabeth_Pokela
01-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Thanks D. Craig. I may try another crop.

Elizabeth

D._Craig_Flory
01-26-2008, 04:35 PM
Hi Elizabeth;

Ok, I'm back from the family portrait consultation. Here is how I see this image being presented. I called it "Tranquility". It still would need the bright grassy areas toned down.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/Tranquility-1.jpg

Elizabeth_Pokela
01-27-2008, 10:52 PM
Thanks D. Craig. I am amazed that out of 132 views I only got a few responses, so I appreciate your attention. Great title I think, too.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth_Pokela
01-27-2008, 10:53 PM
I mean, I appreciate it anyway, just especially since I got so few responses.

DianeDavis
01-27-2008, 10:56 PM
I think that most of us felt unqualified to cc, not that we didn't appreciate your work-

When you want a cc for competition, don't be afraid to pm Keith, Don or Jeff or someone else that you admire and ask them to look-

Dave_Cisco
01-28-2008, 12:58 AM
It has no "snap"..Google Ansel Adams to see how beautiful B&W can be.

Elizabeth_Pokela
01-28-2008, 02:31 AM
FWIW, Dave, I don't need to google Ansel Adams to see his work. I have seen it in person, I have my share of art and photography books, and I studied his and (many others') work getting my BFA in fine art photography. I think if you saw this print in person printed at 16 x 24 you might alter your perception of it's "snap" and quality. But I appreciate the response--after all those C's in CC are for "critique and criticism" not compliments.

Elizabeth

Dave_Cisco
01-28-2008, 03:35 AM
FWIW, Dave, I don't need to google Ansel Adams to see his work. I have seen it in person, I have my share of art and photography books, and I studied his and (many others') work getting my BFA in fine art photography. I think if you saw this print in person printed at 16 x 24 you might alter your perception of it's "snap" and quality. But I appreciate the response--after all those C's in CC are for "critique and criticism" not compliments.

Elizabeth
I don't have any of his prints, but several books.:) I never thought much about B&W until the first time I saw his work. Good B&W is MUCH harder to accomplish than good color.

Rick_Massarini
01-28-2008, 07:33 AM
I don't think that the title "Living History" adds much to the impact. That title is meaningful to you since you know the "back-story" behind the image. The jurors will just see the image and hear the title - and the title does little to add impact to the image. Something more representative of the image as presented would probably garner a better response from the jurors.

Heather_L._Smith
01-28-2008, 04:30 PM
I'd love to see something more in the sky. It fills a good chunk of the image at the top, and I'd really love to see something more (clouds?)... something...

Elizabeth_Pokela
01-28-2008, 04:51 PM
Thank you guys.
Dave, I too love Ansel Adams and he is a strong influence for what I try to accomplish with some of my work. I was primarily a BW photographer for years, and am just now really learning to see in color photographically.

Rick, I agree the title Living History is weak. When it comes to writing, I can do great titles, but to go with images I am lame to say the least.

Heather the sky was brilliant blue, not a cloud in the sky that day. I agree though it lacks the texture the other elements have.

I am curious about something. To me the subject, and impact, of this image is in the pattern the scene makes as a whole, rather than the elements like the horse and the farm buildings, which I see as a little surprise for the viewer who looks more closely. But for PC, it seems it is better to have a more defined subject than the landscape itself.

Elizabeth

Mark_Levesque
01-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Yes, Elizabeth. I was looking at this and wondering "what is the subject of this photograph?" "The whole scene" isn't a good answer for comp, I don't think. (If one can extrapolate from my early experience. :) )

D._Craig_Flory
01-28-2008, 05:39 PM
Hi Elizabeth;

One of the "Dirty Dozen" rules of competition is subject matter. Another is center of interest. What makes a good image for sales of scenics may not work well in competition. Just in case you have never seen it, here is the Dirty Dozen.

Elizabeth_Pokela
01-28-2008, 10:30 PM
Yes. I do have, and have studied the dirty dozen. And I agree with you guys. I posted this one because I would not pick it for comp necessarily based on what I have seen, but it is one of my favorites, and gets lots of positive attention from other viewers. And I think it is a good example of a picture that may be fine for one application but not for comp. Mark should I now take down the image? I remember someone commenting on not leaving them up long in the public areas.

Elizabeth

Mark_Levesque
01-29-2008, 02:02 AM
I just leave them. If you are paranoid about someone stealing it I can take it down if you like.

Elizabeth_Pokela
01-29-2008, 03:17 AM
No. It's okay. I'm not worried. Thanks for all your help Mark.

Elizabeth

Rick_Massarini
01-29-2008, 05:00 AM
Hi Elizabeth;

One of the "Dirty Dozen" rules of competition is subject matter. Another is center of interest. What makes a good image for sales of scenics may not work well in competition. Just in case you have never seen it, here is the Dirty Dozen.

Why do you refer to it as the "Dirty Dozen"??
I've always heard that list referred to as "The 12 Elements of a Merit Print", and that is the title at the top of the board that hangs on the right side of every judging booth at the national judging.
The term "Dirty Dozen" sounds kind of derogatory for something so important.
Just my opinion...