PDA

View Full Version : New to Competition

MarilynDillon
01-24-2008, 03:18 PM
ok - i posted some images yesterday and received no feedback. uh-oh -- now i feel paranoid! :eek: ha. i will just post two portraits i am considering.
i welcome feedback. thanks

Debra_Warner
01-24-2008, 04:41 PM
ok - i posted some images yesterday and received no feedback. uh-oh -- now i feel paranoid! :eek: ha. i will just post two portraits i am considering.
i welcome feedback. thanks

Marilyn,

On your first image, it's really cute, but your subject is looking out of the picture, which leads the viewer out of your picture. There isn't anything keeping us in. I would suggest flipping the boy around so that he is facing the barrel so the barrel at least keeps you in the picture. Does that make sense?

I don't know enough to critique the second image, but the first image jumped out at me because I just got critiqued for having my subject looking out of the picture too...

My thoughts,
Debi

MarilynDillon
01-24-2008, 04:43 PM
dan suggested these three images to be stronger than the portraits i posted

MarilynDillon
01-24-2008, 04:45 PM
and one more - thanks!

MarilynDillon
01-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Thanks Debra -
what do you all think? does that help?

MarilynDillon
01-24-2008, 04:52 PM
perhaps a different crop. um

Heather_L._Smith
01-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Welcome to the forums, Marilyn! On the little boy - I love the colors and the light in this image, but Debra is right on - no matter how you flip this image, his gaze is taking us right out of the image. It's super cute, but for competition, I think that will probably hold it back... and, it's pretty tight on the top of his head - it would probably serve the print (and subject) greatly to have more room above this little guy.

On the second image, with the girl and the dog, again, good image, but it lacks a "wow" factor for competition. There isn't dynamic, dramatic light, and we get a bit of a 'crotch shot' of the girl. Again, good image, but for competition, which is a whole different beast in and of itself, I don't know that this print would pull a high score.

Now, for the next two images, I think these are so much more dramatic and compelling that the first two. These are beautiful art pieces to me. I really like them a lot. The last one doesn't speak to me as strongly, but those two in the middle are beautiful.

Nice work! And, again, welcome to the forums! Some of our regular guys who chime in on the print comp threads are out of town and away from their computers (gasp!), but hopefully you'll still get some good feedback.

Cheers,
Heather

Don_Chick
01-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Hi Marilyn,

Welcome to the print competition area!!! (fwiw) Not getting a response in a day isn't long enough to get worried... I will often look at the images then think about them, look again and the post comments.....

Your image of the little boy had some great story telling elements to it, I am sure the parents went crazy over it. For print competition; however, the issue (primarily) is the lighting. You have direct sunlight hitting the side of the head with a spot on the nose. The lighting alone will stop the judges from going any further and score this image in the acceptable/average range.

Don_Chick
01-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Of the images posted to me (imho) the strongest are the candle and the open window. You need titles to tell the judges more of the story. Still thinking about these.......

Heather_L._Smith
01-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Woohoo!! I was actually saying the same thing as DON CHICK!! Yeehaw. Today is a good day.

D._Craig_Flory
01-24-2008, 05:11 PM
Hi Marilyn;

In the future, only start one thread on a subject. I just posted a comment and alternative version of the little apple boy on your other thread on this.

Don_Chick
01-24-2008, 05:13 PM
Woohoo!! I was actually saying the same thing as DON CHICK!! Yeehaw. Today is a good day.

Heather, You posted excellent comments! We must have been typing at the same time and there was some kind of harmonic convergence going on there :D

For the image of the room with dress... If you vignetted the edges you would have a stronger image. That way you would be telling the viewer where to start looking. Stronger image means score higher, but even with that I am not convinced that it would be strong enough to merit.

Nylora_Bruleigh
01-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Hi Marilyn!

Welcome!

I am not a judge nor pretend to be so take this for what it is worth.

I love both of the window images. I would like to hear what you have for titles on these. With the one with the curtains I feel as though I am there and can feel the air slightly moving around throught the window. The candle one is also very moody and again, I would be interested in what are thinking for the title.

With the wedding dress one the first thing that my eye is drawn to is the fact that the floor looks crooked. Also, when I am looking at this image all of the weight seems to be on the left side of the image. I would play with the crop a little bit. My eye is also drawn to the two doorknobs on the right side of the image.

Of the two portraits my favorite one is the one on the right. I love that the girl is interacting witht the dog and the dog is looking right at the viewer. It definatly make the dog the focal point here. Also, I like how you have made the background out of focus, I feel between that and the fact that you have the subjects in the center that it makes you stay in that area of the subjects!

The one with the little boy and the apples feels too squished to me. I feel that he needs more headroom and space around him. Kids need room to play. Also the fact that he is looking out of the frame bothers me too. When you flipped it my eye just kept going out of the image inthe direction that he is looking.

Well, there you go ~ ask and you shall receive, I hope you get more response and opinions on these images.

Will you be at the David Jay Seminar next weekend?

Nylora

MarilynDillon
01-29-2008, 02:53 AM
Thank you all - and, yes, I am going to David Jay seminar on Sunday -- looking forward to it.