PDA

View Full Version : Image Review-critique for 20

cat_broderick
01-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Anyone here up for reviewing a set of 20 images for that part of Certification? (Come on, ya know you wanna......;) If so what is the best way to post? I was thinking an online gallery of 20+ so a few can be eliminated?

Mark_Levesque
01-24-2008, 12:59 PM
That works well, Cat. Post them with numbers (say 1-25) and that way it will be easy to point out the culls and the best ones. Online galleries are much less work than posting all the images here.

Don_Chick
01-24-2008, 12:59 PM
Folks in the past have provided a link to slide shows, some have posted them here. Whatever you do, try not to have the images bigger than the screen but bigger than 4x5.... say 6x7.5 size

cat_broderick
01-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Thanks!
Can anyone elaborate on how they will need to be presented to the committee? I read the "specs"page, and returned my application, but all it really said was sized 8x10. Does it need to be slideshow format? 72 dpi saved for web? I know I will get password info, and perhaps more info when I receive my upload password, but I'd like to get started as I will be close to the wire.

D._Craig_Flory
01-24-2008, 03:22 PM
Hi Cat;

The slideshow was the old way on a DVD. Now you upload .jpgs .

Keely_Deuschle
01-24-2008, 04:50 PM
The email that I got back from Marissa this morning in response to a few questions said to just follow the directions once you get into the site. So, I guess as soon as we get our password and log on the site, we will find out more info.

R._Scott_Weldon
01-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Below is from the
Image Guidelines and Uploading Instructions on portfolios.com.

Samples you are uploading should be around 650 pixels on the largest side (vertical or horizontal)
-JPG images should have a resolution of 72dpi, and be saved in RGB mode with a quality of 5 or 6 (Medium) in Photoshop
-File names should contain no spaces or special characters

cat_broderick
01-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks Scott
Here is a link to my images if anyone wants to give thoughts. I have posted 37, with my goal being: 6 seniors, 6 child, 6 family, one maternity and 1 commercial. I did number them but when Adobe created the web gallery it did not post them in order. The numbers are on each image but they are no longer grouped together.

Thanks-strong cc welcome. If I need to find more let me know!

http://www.cathleenbroderick.com/imagereview/

cat_broderick
01-27-2008, 03:22 PM
bumping up for thoughts?

Mark_Levesque
01-28-2008, 01:28 PM
Gee, Cat, after looking through them I think you could blindly pick any 20 and not have a thing to worry about. Next time, if you want them in order, number the first ones 01, 02, 03, etc.

My impressions on the individual images:

1) yes 10) no 11) yes 12) maybe 13) yes 14) yes 15) yes 16) yes* 17) yes 18) yes 19) yes 2) yes* 20) yes 21) yes 22) maybe 23) yes 24) yes 25) yes* 26) yes 27) yes 28) yes 29) yes 3) yes* 30) maybe 31) yes 32) yes 33) yes 34) yes, but retouch the blemish on her forehead 35) yes 36) yes 37) no. The image itself is fine, but you already have good family shots and this one has too many different colors in it 4) yes* 5) yes 6) maybe (if the focus is really supposed to be on the grasping little hand 7) yes 8) maybe 9) no (they are a little uncomfortable looking there, with stiff smiles, and you have enough better images that you don't need it. Otherwise this would be a "maybe")

You have plenty of material here and should have no trouble passing. I *ed my favorites. Nice work. You live on the Cape or something? This looks a lot like Cape Cod.

Karen_Linsley
01-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Hi Cat; You've got some great stuff here, here's my thoughts

1 yes; 10 the little girl's hair needs retouching, I would put it in a maybe for now. 11 yes; 12 maybe; 13 yes but fix the hair on the lady in the lower right; 14 no, because the lady on the left is turned awkwardly, and seems separate from the other two; 15 no, nice job of covering up their feet in the lower left, but the little girl lower right seems scrunched up to me; 16 maybe, but the blue bucket is distracting me; 17 no, the way the boy is turned seems awkward; 18 no; 19 yes but fix the windblown hair; 2 yes; 20 maybe, again boy on lower right seems scrunched; 21, maybe; 22, yes; 23, yes; 24, yes; 25, yes (adorable!); 26, yes; 27, no, flat light, awkward smile; 28 no, the lighting makes her face look fat; 29, yes; 3, yes; 30, no; 31, yes; 32, maybe; 33, yes; 34, yes; 35, yes; 36 no, hair too messy, and no light in her eyes; 37 yes; 4 yes; 5, maybe...it could work, but I think you have others that are better; 6, no...I understand what you were trying to do with the focus on the cute little fist, but I don't think it works here, my eye isn't going to the fist. Perhaps if it was in black and white? 7, maybe; 8, maybe; 9, yes.

Looks like you are getting some different answers here! I will say that Mark helped me immensely with my certification process, and I don't consider myself an expert, but I wanted to jump on in here and help anyway. What I did was literally have several folks look at my work, then I counted up the yeses, nos and maybes and the ones with the most yesses I kept; the ones with all nos I discarded and got others.

cat_broderick
01-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Yes Mark I live near the Cape, south of Boston. You weren't at Sopha's lighting class a couple of months back in NH were you? You look like a Mark I met there.

Thanks for taking the time to review and comment, and for your kind words.

Also if anyone sees anything competition worthy, I am preparing for state! (funny, Mark you favorites are my possible comp prints already in the works!)

cat_broderick
01-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Karen we were posting at the same time. Thansk for your input as well, it is so refreshing to get outside opinions, aside from what I like and what my clients like.

cat_broderick
01-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Mark also thanks for the tip-duh I know that! Reposted-makes it easier on all.

Aurora_Onorato
01-28-2008, 05:20 PM
wow I don't konw anything about certification I'm just not there yet but your work is beautiful I'm sure you'll do fine!

Darren_Osgood
01-28-2008, 09:24 PM
Cat, you have a pretty nice group there and would have to agree with Mark on blindly picking them. I saw only one that I didn't think belonged and that was #6. Now I'm not authority on the topic as I'm in the same boat, but IMHO you have plenty here that are very nice images.