PDA

View Full Version : Where do the thirds go with the matte?

Tracy_McGee
01-24-2008, 01:22 AM
With the rule of thirds, do you apply it to the image by itself that is ON the matte? Or the image and matte as one entire thing when it has been matted for competition?

Mark_Levesque
01-24-2008, 01:42 AM
You apply it to the entire 16x20 surface. If you can ALSO do the image by itself, that's even better.

Tracy_McGee
01-24-2008, 03:02 AM
Thanks, Mark. :)

George_Hawkins
01-24-2008, 12:33 PM
You apply it to the entire 16x20 surface. If you can ALSO do the image by itself, that's even better.

Good point, but let's not forget that competition judges do consider the entire presentation. Impact +++

I have not tried so, but I recently read that in Painter X, those lines showing the thirds and more are available as a simple tool for composition!

George

Don_Chick
01-24-2008, 01:10 PM
When working an image for competition, I consider the rule of 1/3rds for the actual image. Then when ready to put the image on the final presentation, I consider the overall presentations rule of 1/3rds. I approximate the location, but don't sweat it if its off by .001... The judges don't have time to measure your image that closely.

A poor man's way to check is to go into image, image size in Photoshop to get the horizontal dimension and divide it by 3. Then I go into the grid option and put the grid spacing at this distance. Your image is now divided equally into thirds horizontally. Repeat the procedure for the vertical dimension. Yes, there are other ways and better ways, but like I said it's a poor man's version for checking...

George_Hawkins
01-24-2008, 01:11 PM
THANKS DON!!!! great!

Off thread, but here is a story to share:

http://www.mzmo.net/AThiefInParis.htm

D._Craig_Flory
01-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Hi Tracy;

You have been given good advice. I will add this to do in Photoshop. Go into preferences under Guide, grids, and Slices. Set Grid Line every 33.3 percent and subdivision as 1. Now open an image and click View > Show > Grid.

Peter_Bauer
01-24-2008, 02:13 PM
You can record an Action in Photoshop that will automatically add Guides to show the Thirds for any image-
--Open an image.
--In the Actions palette, select a set of Actions or create a new set.
--Click the New Action button.
--View> New Guide. Input 33.3% (don't forget the % symbol) and click OK.
--View> New Guide. Input 66.7% and click OK.
--View> New Guide. Input 33.3% and select Horizontal, then click OK.
--View> New Guide. Input 66.7% and select Horizontal, then click OK.
--Click the Stop button at the bottom of the Actions palette.

When you play the Action on any image, the Guides will appear in the proper location, regardless of image size or orientation.

Remember, too, that you can show/hide the Guides with the keyboard shortcut Command + semicolon/Control + semicolon.

Pete

Mark_Levesque
01-24-2008, 02:19 PM
that's a great idea, Peter. I usually just eyeball it, but it might be nice to have such an action.

Tracy_McGee
01-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Thanks guys! :D

George, that was cute. :p

Don, thanks! I had wondered how picky about the measurements they would be.

Craig I'll give that a try. I think I know what you mean but I'll have to go look.

Peter, that's a great idea! I actually did make an action to add grid lines, but it was specifically for the size of the 16x20, I never thought to do percents! What a perfect solution! :)

John_Throneburg
01-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Thanks Peter, that sure makes it easy.

D._Craig_Flory
01-24-2008, 06:36 PM
[QUOTE=Tracy McGee;125707]Thanks guys!

Craig I'll give that a try. I think I know what you mean but I'll have to go look.

Hi Tracy;

I made up lesson images on how to do this:
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/StepOneThirdsGuide.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/StepTwoThirdsGuide.jpg

D._Craig_Flory
01-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Hi Stacy;

Here are the other two steps. The image is a sample that came with CS2.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/StepThreeThirdsGuide.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/StepFourThirdsGuide.jpg

Don_Chick
01-24-2008, 06:57 PM
When you play the Action on any image, the Guides will appear in the proper location, regardless of image size or orientation.

Pete

When I create an action as you've described it puts the actual distance in the action rather than a percentage. When I run the action on an image with different orientation/ size it uses the numbers from the image I created the action with... What am I missing - as far as making this action work that is? :eek:

GeorgeannChambers
01-25-2008, 06:19 PM
I tried this action as well. I must have missed something, too, 'cause it doesn't correlate from one image to another.

Dave_Cisco
01-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Thanks guys! :D

Don, thanks! I had wondered how picky about the measurements they would be.

They don't have to measure it...they can visually "feel" if the balance is there.:D

Peter_Bauer
01-26-2008, 03:59 AM
When I create an action as you've described it puts the actual distance in the action rather than a percentage. When I run the action on an image with different orientation/ size it uses the numbers from the image I created the action with... What am I missing - as far as making this action work that is? :eek:

Did you remember to include the % symbol when inputing the location? If you did and you're still having problems, go to Photoshop's Preferences> Units & Rulers and change the unit of measure to Percent before recording the Action.
Pete