PDA

View Full Version : First Time on Forums and in Competition

MarilynDillon
01-23-2008, 06:02 PM
I have been a member of my state ppa for a few years but havent entered a competition yet. Attached are some images I am considering for this spring's state competition. Being a first timer I know that I have a lot to learn and experience. Would welcome your feedback. Thanks!:)

MarilynDillon
01-23-2008, 06:04 PM
here are two more

MarilynDillon
01-23-2008, 06:05 PM
seems i can only upload two at once ---

MarilynDillon
01-23-2008, 06:06 PM
let me know if there is something i can do to make the critique process here easier

MarilynDillon
01-23-2008, 06:07 PM
and-- a couple of wedding images

Jeff_Dachowski
01-23-2008, 06:10 PM
Marilyn,
Welcome. It is so nice to see you here.

I am short for time, but will post my thoughts later today!!

Welcome!
Jeff

Linda_Gregory
01-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Marilyn,

Welcome to the forums! I'm enjoying your variety but will let the experts weigh in on your print selections.

Dan_Leary
01-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Hi Marilyn,
I am nowhere near qualified to critique these, but I saw you re-posted the two portraits because you got not feedback. Well, I think the two portraits are some of your WEAKEST images. I think your strongest images are the third, fourth and seventh ones here. That's just my opinion on the images... hopefully someone else can come along and give you pointers on how to work them up for print competition.

MarilynDillon
01-24-2008, 04:25 PM
thanks dan! appreciate it.

D._Craig_Flory
01-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Hi Marilyn;

I like the idea behind the little boy and the apple barrel. As was pointed out before, he is in the wrong position. You also have it cropped too close to the top of his head.

I did a very quick example of how it would have worked much better. I hope this helps you to "see" as you are creating images that you think may be good for competition.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/ApplePickerEnhanced.jpg

Don_Chick
01-24-2008, 05:20 PM
D. Craig,

That's an great lesson in composition for the folks reading this thread.

Marilyn,

This image for competition however, has lighting issues that will keep it in the acceptable/low average range. You have posted other images that are much stronger for competition.