PDA

View Full Version : possibles?

Karen_Linsley
01-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Now that the holidays are over, Imaging is done and it's the dead of winter, it is time to start thinking about print comp. I talked with Kieth at Imaging, and he selected a couple of images for me to work on, and I am doing so. I photographed this senior last week and thought I throw a few of these into the hat and see what you guys thought. Do any of these have potential?

These two are the same image, one is processed with a cold tone preset from Lightroom.

Karen_Linsley
01-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Here's some more:

Karen_Linsley
01-21-2008, 04:05 PM
and two more.

Will_Price
01-21-2008, 04:22 PM
That water looks chilly....nice images btw.

Karen_Linsley
01-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks Will. The water is very cold. One does not lightly jump into the lake at any time of year, even summer. Hypothermia runs high all year long in that lake.

Glad you like the images.

D._Craig_Flory
01-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Hi Karen;

Ok, the 1st pose has a crooked horizon line. That can be corrected. However, the pose doesn't do it for me. Her hands up like that don't work and her one hip is thrown out unnaturally.

The next one I like the best. But, it's a smiling at the camera pose. And she is not doing anything interesting but leaning back. It would make a great wall portrait but not for competition.

On the next one there is a whole big area at the top and yet her hands are amputated at the bottom. Once again she has the bog smile. Her body is posed straight on to the camera also.

The first image, with her dog, has a horizontal situation captured in a vertical. She is again grinning at the camera.\

The last one is the one closest to working. If she had been gazing into the distance with a look of awe or wonderment and the dog was looking the same way it could have been great. Her face is not a profile nor is it a ¾ view and in between will hurt your score. The image isn't straight. The camera is too high. The brightest area is the front of the dock. I would love to see this spot used again for a story telling image.

I'm sorry but I don't see anything to score above a 76. Please post some more soon.

Karen_Linsley
01-22-2008, 03:21 PM
Thank you Craig, that is exactly what I was looking for! I'm trying to figure out the differences between a good client shot and a good print comp image and this helps alot, thanks again.

Michael_Gan
01-22-2008, 03:59 PM
Hiya Karen,

I think your strongest images is in post #2 on the left. Lake taho is actually a distraction and I think you can do some nice things with the one mentioned. It is a bit smiley and the judges won't go for that. With the proper cropping (put her more into the right 1/3) and perhaps a creative tilt, this could be interesting.

I think the problem with all of these is that your flash is too hot, so what happens is that the background becomes a backdrop. It feels as if there is no "vanishing point" to the background. The background becomes "compressed". Oddly, the best way to solve this is to use all natural light, or, at least bring your fill flash down by at least a stop and let more of the natural lighting play a major role in the image.

Think in terms of the subject. What does the smile on this girl tell you about her? Be a "story teller" with your subjects. Narrow your secondary point of interest to just one so that you have the subject and the one secondary source play against each other. Did you know where smiling into the camera came from? It started in the 1930's during the depression era where nobody wanted to show that they had a miserable life because of the depression!

Your new mantra: I will do no more smiley faces..;)

Don_Chick
01-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Your new mantra: I will do no more smiley faces..;)

But Michael... smiley faces put a lot of $$ in the bank account.. I would say the mantra should be... I will add some non-smiley images to every session to capture a range of expression for my client. Thereby securing a good sale and possible images for a future competition.

Karen_Linsley
01-22-2008, 06:50 PM
LOL! Michael, I love the new mantra! However, I like Don's even better!

"I will add dramatic, story telling, non smiley images to every session and every wedding, thereby not only increasing my sales, but earning merits at the same time!"

Re: hot flash. That's a tough one for me. I have spent 20 years in the most beautiful place in the world, using it as a backdrop, and when people want to be photographed by the lake, they want the lake to show up. You would not believe the complaints I get when I go available light in a situation like this and the background washes out! It is not pleasant. So, am I to add: "also, I will do a few available light photos as well so as to please the judges." ? I do have an assistant, and he loves to use the reflector, especially the new one I bought at Imaging, but this girl, after a few minutes with it, simply couldn't handle the glare anymore.

Thank you everyone for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

Don_Chick
01-22-2008, 07:21 PM
You asked in the thread if any of the images have potential? I think they should hang however, I am not sure that they would score 80 or higher. If you get any ribbon in competition you should use it as a marketing opportunity and get a press release to the local paper.

The first image (2 versions posted). To me the color image is stronger. The reason is that when you desaturate her flesh the tone of her flesh is the same as the reflected clouds. What this causes is the blouse now becomes the center of interest. Flip the image upside down and notice where your eye goes first.. Right to the black clothing instead of her face. The color image (all comments made imho) I would see scoring 73-75. The lighting is rather flat (lacking a light ratio) and you have a strong light coming, in camera left, on her neck. I see this image as a great client image (they will love it) but not a strong competition image.

The second image of her leaning back with only the water behind her... Here you have a light ratio (that is good), and a pleasant expression; however, you have (for lack of a better description) an image that's been done a thousand times. There is nothing about it that will make the judges go "wow". The "wow" is what gets you into the merit category. I see this image in the 73-75 range.

3rd image. Nice expression, pretty girl beautiful background; however, you have flat light again. That one thing will hold an image out of the merit category.

The images including the dog are similar to the others - 73-75 range. The dog doesn't look included in the images. It's not looking at the girl, the photographer, it looks like it wants to be somewhere else and therefore is not adding to the potential high score of the image. A crooked horizon line will cause some judges to hold back on the score too.

All comments are assuming excellent print quality for all images.

Keith_A_Howe
01-23-2008, 12:17 AM
I came here to post and found that Don had done it all for me already! So what he said . . .

I agree with most that the 3rd image is the strongest and if you need a 4th print to fill your case this would be the one from this group but I agree with Don on where it will score. The other thing no one mentioned about it is how messy her hair is over her left shoulder.

Keith

Michael_Gan
01-23-2008, 12:51 AM
Oh yeah, what he said :D