PDA

View Full Version : Young Girl

Carver_Shivers
01-20-2008, 09:18 AM
Need your opinion on this painting... Thanks in advance...

Don_Chick
01-20-2008, 02:40 PM
I'll try to post more later... but for now.

I like the color harmony of the image. The first place my eye went (right after looking at her eyes) was to the white spot under her right elbow. Also I would tone down the spot under her left elbow.

Ron_Jackson
01-20-2008, 03:19 PM
Can you say "Mona Lisa"? The first thing I thought of when I saw this was that famous painting based on the eyes and the expression of this girl. Don gave you some good advice. My only critical comment is the overall feel of this image is too crowded. The crop has her so confined that it's a bit uncomfortable to me. Is there more room in the original image?

This is a beautiful image with a very cute girl and great tones. Thanks for sharing.

Laura_Beth_Bailey
01-20-2008, 06:53 PM
As soon as I opened this post it gave me the feel of an older, elegant time...like Ron said...Mona Lisa style!

I do think it might be made even better with a little more space...maybe to her right (our left).

The only spot that I noticed was the one under her right elbow. The one on the chair arm doesn't draw my attention. That would be simple to darken if you decide to.

I think it's beautiful! Probably only a "trained" eye would notice. I'll bet her family loves it!

P.S. We have a famous Shivers from around here! Chris Shivers the world champion bull rider....any relation to you? Ya know it's a small world! We just returned from a hospital stay at Texas Childrens Hospital in Houston. WOW! How do you drive? So many things to photograph but soooooo much traffic! I'm such a hick!

Don_Chick
01-21-2008, 02:39 AM
Probably only a "trained" eye would notice.

Thank You!! :D :D

Laura_Beth_Bailey
01-21-2008, 02:43 AM
Hi, Don! You're very welcome! I highly respect the trained eyes here! I am learning a tremendous amount from you all! I don't call myself a "trained eye" but I do definitely consider you and Ron to be :) I guess I'd call myself an "in-training eye!" It makes me feel like I might be catching on to some things when I see some of you say what I was thinking. I am usually very hesitant to offer any advice, but I know what I like.

Lori_Clapp
01-21-2008, 03:22 AM
Well, I'm definately not a trained eye - and don't like to give my opinion since I'm learning myself! But to me, this image seems top heavy for some reason. i don't know if her body looks too thin because of the white under her right arm, or if her hair and the chair together just make it look heavy on the top or what.

Although I do love the image, and the way it's painted. It just makes me feel like the whole image just might tip over. And no, I haven't been drinking!

Linda_Gregory
01-21-2008, 04:02 AM
Lori,

You're not alone. Her head looks disproportionate to the rest of her body. The angle looking down at her and a shorter lens would do this but it could be easily corrected with the liquify tool

Auralee_Dallas
01-21-2008, 04:40 AM
I feel the same way as Lori and Linda. The painting technique is beautiful, however I can't pinpoint what it is that makes the girl look odd to me. Perhaps all the beautiful hair or there is not enough room around her, but something about the proportions just look strange. When you take away the white space under her arm, it does make her body look bigger and thus more proportionate to her head.