01-18-2008, 03:57 AM
I would like opinions on these two.
Thanks Again, Terri

Debra_Warner
01-19-2008, 05:27 PM
I would like opinions on these two.
Thanks Again, Terri

Terri,

The images are a little small, so it's hard to see the detail but here are my thoughts for that they are worth. The first image could use a hair light to separate her from the background. (If there is one, I can't see it in the small image).

I like the second one, but from what I can see it looks a bit overdone with portraiture or a smoothing method that you used?

Can you increase the sizes a little larger? They are cute kids and salable images though!!

My thoughts,
Debi

Don_Chick
01-20-2008, 06:45 PM
Hi Terri,

These comments are offered from a competition perspective, I am sure the clients love these images.

If I were on a panel and the first image came up... I would tend to place it in the average category. The child has cute expression and you have a low key prop in a low key situation. However, the lighting is the first area of concern (to me). You have a very high contrast ratio (highlight to shadow contrast) and the nose shadow goes "up" rather than down. The "up" shadow indicates that the Main Light is to high for the portrait. Also you've choses a common theme (child on a chair) and yet there is nothing that lends itself to the impact of the image. I don't mean to imply that you should shy away from a high contrast ratio.

The second image is really cute too, and I like your use of color. The judges who might judge this image; however, are going to notice the leg pointing straight at the viewer, the arm and hand to camera right appearing kinda as a "claw" because part is around the backside of the prop. The hair bow has a pattern which keeps drawing the views eye up to it... These elements taken together (again imo) keep this one in the average to low side of the above average category, depending on print quality.

Mark_Levesque
01-20-2008, 07:37 PM
and the nose shadow goes "up" rather than down. The "up" shadow indicates that the Main Light is to high for the portrait.
Too high, or too low?

Terri_Fortney
01-20-2008, 10:46 PM
okay thanks for the input, that is exactly what I wanted to know. I am learning what I am doing wrong by posting.
I really appreciate everyones help.
Terri

Don_Chick
01-21-2008, 02:38 AM
Too high, or too low?

From Bert and I (Maine humor)

Were they high boots or low? Come to think of it they were high boots turned down low.... Twern't me then!

The main light is too low.... casting the shadow up.