PDA

View Full Version : Sorting Through ALL your work....

Julia_Radlick
01-15-2008, 06:01 PM
To pick images for competition....
How do you sort through ALL your work and pick?

I know there are the 12 points of a merit print, but which one of those do you look for first? Impact? Storytelling? Creativity? Technical prowess?

Does one point have more weight than another? What if an image is techincally perfect, but doesn't tell much of a story or has just emdiocre impact? What if an image has impact and tells a story and is creative, but lacks slightly in the technical dept. Is there a method to the madness? Obvisouly we all want the golden goose, but what to do if you don't have those (for most of us) few, select perfect shots?

Picking seems to be the hardest part.... ((frustration!))

Don_Chick
01-15-2008, 06:07 PM
You pull some images together and ask friends and colleagues. You take their response filter it through your own inclination(s) and compete! Make sure the folks you ask have some degree of competition competency. Competition is a game and your best advice will come from those with success in this game or are judging the game!!!

You are just too close to your own images, they are like your children....

Julia_Radlick
01-15-2008, 06:31 PM
You are just too close to your own images, they are like your children....

Yes, I hear you. I am too close....but
fortunately, I don't have children! LOL

Keith_A_Howe
01-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Look for Impact first! Technical elements 2nd!
Keith

Jeff_Dachowski
01-15-2008, 10:43 PM
Julia,
You find out what other qualified photogs instant messenger account is, trick them into opening photo sharing with you, then show them your images for like two hours, our until they say they have to run!!!! ( don't believe them, who has to run at 11 pm?)

Julia, I have never done this of course, but it might work.:)
Jeff

Auralee_Dallas
01-15-2008, 11:07 PM
Julia, I notice that you are in Portland, so are you thinking of entering Western States?
Everyone here on this forum has great ideas for getting feedback. I can pretty much tell when I look through my images in the editing process of what might make a competition print. There are folks here that are great at giving feedback and advice about preparing the images. Post some and see how it goes.

Looking ahead to next year, enter your local group's print comp every month and then you will already have an idea of what scores well and what judges will take off for. These smaller comps are slightly easier, but you get the needed feedback for improvement.

MarieLeslie
01-15-2008, 11:23 PM
I'm probably a bad judge of this because I can't seem to pick a merit print to save my life and even when I've gotten advice from really good photographers, I still don't merit (yes, it's sadly true. Two merits in four years of print competition--at this rate, I'll be 90 before I get my masters), but I copy possible merit prints into a separate file when I'm editing. Then later I'll go through (like now) and begin narrowing them down to the ones that seem like realistic possibilities and then get opinions from other photographers who are familiar with print comp.

Ah well, maybe this year. . . .

Julia_Radlick
01-15-2008, 11:26 PM
I really like this forum. You all are great!

Keith, thanks. That gives me at least an order of operation!

Jeff, Hu---lar---eee---ous! (LOL)

Auralee--yeah I was consdiering Western States, but now am re-thinking that. We have PPO convention here in Oregon next month. I just joined PPO so I can't award or merit, but I know I will learn a lot. I also just volunteered and got on the Print Committee, so I'm kind of excited about that.

I'm also taking the CPP exam next month, so I have a lot on my plate! LOL

Marie, great adive. I am vowing to become more organized like that this year!

Stephanie_Millner
01-16-2008, 12:29 AM
Julia,
You find out what other qualified photogs instant messenger account is, trick them into opening photo sharing with you, then show them your images for like two hours, our until they say they have to run!!!! ( don't believe them, who has to run at 11 pm?)

Julia, I have never done this of course, but it might work.:)
Jeff

So that's why Don Chick blocked me...

Mark_Levesque
01-16-2008, 01:48 AM
No, you just caught Sandy as she's not as patient with other photogs. :D

Stephanie_Millner
01-16-2008, 02:57 AM
Haha! Well, now that Betsy knows me, she's either going to let you talk to me on Yahoo at night again ... or get a restraining order.

____
Before I derail this thread, I show my stuff to Liz, Mark, Keith and Don... and then wuss out on sending it in for comp.

Mark_Levesque
01-16-2008, 03:33 AM
Well, if you don't log into YIM, it's tough to blame anyone else. :p