PDA

View Full Version : another one for CC

Terri_Fortney
01-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Here is another one I would like critiqued.

D._Craig_Flory
01-15-2008, 05:33 PM
Hi Terri;

I like just about everything about this image. The only thing I saw I didn't like is how centered she is. I would move the subject layer so her face is at the 3rd quadrant.

Terri_Fortney
01-16-2008, 01:11 AM
Thank you again, Is this what you are talking about?

Julie_DeGuia
01-16-2008, 06:30 AM
I like this image too. Love her bare feet and the way they are crossed.

I am only distracted by her right hand... you can only see a bit of it and since it is bright draws my attention. Not sure if it would be OK to clone it out and only have only one hand showing? Or maybe just bring the brightness down some?

Julie

Don_Chick
01-16-2008, 11:22 AM
Julie,

You've created a lovely image of this child, very nice. I am sure the clients will go crazy over it.

From a competition perspective (and remember I am looking at a 3" image not a finished 16x20 print) there are a couple elements that might catch the judges. The vertical stripes on the ribbon (and the amount of them on the back of her dress) and the very light colored ribbon in her hair. Studio images are held to a high standard because you have everything "under control". This small it's hard to really see how the light is playing across her face, but it appears there's a light ratio...

I am interested to hear what Keith has to add about this image.

D._Craig_Flory
01-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Hi Terry;

Good moves ... better. Listen to Don. He made some good points. Try toning down what he talked about.

Terri_Fortney
01-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Don, I am not sure what you mean by a light ratio on her face. If you will let me know if and what I can do to correct that, I would appreciate it.
The bow on the hair I did try to tone that down, I will try to get it toned down more.
Terri

Don_Chick
01-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Don, I am not sure what you mean by a light ratio on her face. If you will let me know if and what I can do to correct that, I would appreciate it.
The bow on the hair I did try to tone that down, I will try to get it toned down more.
Terri

Terri,

A highlight to shadow side of the face ratio. Flat light will not score well in competition (there are always exceptions), so you need to have shadow opposite the highlight side. It's very difficult for me to tell here because her head shows up about the size of a dime! Can you post her head larger so I can see the lighting on her face?

Terri_Fortney
01-16-2008, 06:53 PM
I understand what your saying.. I hope it isn't too flat.

Keith_A_Howe
01-16-2008, 08:06 PM
Terri
Your ratio is ok, it could be a little stronger - higher but we can help that alittle by gently burning in the shadow side of her face. Don pointed out the stripes, those are always fun when a mom brings in a dress with such potential and then there is the bow. I would tone down the flower in her hair or change the colors (overlay) to blend to her dress. It was pointed out about the girls right hand, I think the dress is bunched up between her right for arm and her hip, causing her to look heavier than she should. This is a very good subject and if you have the oppertunity to re photograph I would suggest doing so. Try to get a ribbon or piece of fabric for a sash that blends with the dress but is a darker shade. Watch for that bunching of the fabric (a distraction that is totally under the photographers control) and if you can make everything work. . . turn her body away from the main light and bring her face back into the main light. This will sculpt her body better and create a more 3d look to your image. Did I discribe this clear enough or did I totally confuse you?
Good Luck
Keith

Terri_Fortney
01-16-2008, 09:14 PM
No you didn't confuse me you really helped me alot. Thank you

Terri_Fortney
01-16-2008, 09:21 PM
this is the next image after the other oen, do you think after it is worked on and after adjustments you described it would work better?