PDA

View Full Version : Please Critique for Competition

Terri_Fortney
01-15-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm this is my first time on this forum and I would really like to have these critiqued. I wasn't sure which way this would work.

D._Craig_Flory
01-15-2008, 06:19 PM
Hi Terri;

Since it's your first post ... welcome !

I like the one on the left better. The one on the right allows other than her face to come into promenance.

I would suggest two minor changes. I would crop off a bit at the top of the subject layer. I would also lower the subject layer slightly. Otherwise, I like the image a lot.

Terri_Fortney
01-16-2008, 01:26 AM
Thank you so much!
I made the changes do you think it looks better?

D._Craig_Flory
01-16-2008, 01:41 PM
I like your changes ... good job. Now for a good title.

Keith_A_Howe
01-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Sorry D. Craig, I disagree with cropping off the top, now it looks way too tight. I would like to see even more room than on the original two.

Terri, I would also suggest you do away with the scroll design in the lower left corner. All it does is give the judges a reason to look elsewhere. You want to keep the attention on her face. When looking at the original two images you posted, I think I prefer the one on the right. It seems to have more snap and contrast. It is hard to tell on these small files but if the right one has too much contrast and the highlights are blown, that would be an issue. I also noticed that the left has some spot color that looks like old time hand tinting and the right one does not. Whichever one you use, in this (rare) case I like the subtle spot color. We talk alot about leaving an effect off because it does not improve the image. This is a case where the handtinted look does add to the overall feel of a vintage portrait. I would go a little farther with this effect and add some color in her face, hair, dress and the background, keeping it very very subtle and soft. I also would like to see the back of her dress burned down a bit. Right now it is brighter than her face.

Keith

D._Craig_Flory
01-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Hi Terri;

Listen to Keith. I am only a Craftsman and have only been a print judge twice. Keith is also a Master and an afilliated judge. I know a lot but he knows a whole lot more. He and I agree sometimes and disagree other times. I hope others chime in as well on your images.

Heather_L._Smith
01-16-2008, 03:49 PM
I personally prefer the contrast on the image on the right better.

Terri_Fortney
01-16-2008, 05:33 PM
Okay thanks I will make the changes, that is why I ask for your help.

Terri_Fortney
01-16-2008, 06:20 PM
okay I hope I did this right.
Do you think I need a solid background or leave it like this?

Keith_A_Howe
01-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Terri
Personally I never know if a darker background is the answer till I try it. I do feel that in this image I would go with a darker background (just darken what you have quite a ways and see what you think) as I think it make the girl that much more dramatic when it first turns around. I would also burn in the bottom of the image and her dress more. There is something as it is now that makes her look like she (specificly her feet) is floating on the background and burning might take that away. Nice Light direction by the way!
Keith

Terri_Fortney
01-16-2008, 10:17 PM
Will do thank you!

Elizabeth_Pokela
01-17-2008, 01:39 AM
I am no expert in PPA competition, but I agree with Keith, a darker "frame" will bring the emphasis to the subject rather than being too matchy with the background of the actual image. Burning around the feet will help ground the subject. Great posing, too I think.

Elizabeth