PDA

View Full Version : C/C Please.

Carsten_von_Hedemann
01-15-2008, 04:21 AM
Ok is this "too" artiy for Compition?

Category: Photographic Open

Title: Textured by Age, Coloured by Life.

http://www.pbase.com/image/91693640.jpg

c...

Don_Chick
01-15-2008, 12:46 PM
I wouldn't call it too "artsy"... but ask why?

Does it add to the story, convey more meaning to the photograph, help the viewer to understand the original vision? Help me out here to understand your thoughts on why you think this enhances the impact of the original image...

Keith_A_Howe
01-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Does it add to the story, convey more meaning to the photograph, help the viewer to understand the original vision?

Listen to Don, he is asking exactly the right questions. If I see something like this those are the things I think of first. And then, like in this image, if it doesn't seem to enhance the image, it actually hurts the image. So while Don was trying to lead you gently into seeing it as the wrong choice, I'll be a little blunter, don't use the color or texture overlay.

Keith

D._Craig_Flory
01-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Hi Carsten;

I'd like to see this image as it looked originally. I see a "dead' eye with no apparent catch light and a dull look. I also see lighting that doesn't look optimum. For a profile, my normal lighting is to put the key light behind the subject at a 45ยบ angle. That gives a very dramatic look and sculpts the face extremely well. On yours it looks like the key light was on the camera side.

Carsten_von_Hedemann
01-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Don,

Thanks for the reply, and being kind.

Thanks for the blunt honestly, It's what I needed to know. I know it doesn’t matter how much I like something if the judges do get it, it's the wrong venue for that piece.

c...

Sandra_Pearce
01-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Carston,

Hasn't this photograph been on before in B/W? I think I remember it. Sometimes we fall into loving an image too much. I am so bad about this. It is hard to let go of the thought everyone else is suppose to love it too. I listen to this panel and trust their judgement. Even though I try to sway them by doing different things to the same print that is good to sell but not to compete with. Thank you Don, Keith and Craig for making me a better photographer for competition.

Sandra

Carsten_von_Hedemann
01-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Carston,

Hasn't this photograph been on before in B/W? I think I remember it. Sometimes we fall into loving an image too much. I am so bad about this. It is hard to let go of the thought everyone else is suppose to love it too. I listen to this panel and trust their judgement. Even though I try to sway them by doing different things to the same print that is good to sell but not to compete with. Thank you Don, Keith and Craig for making me a better photographer for competition.

Sandra

Sandra,

How ture it's hard to let go :rolleyes: Ok back to work...
c...