Get to Know Your 2012-2015 Councilors
About the Council
We truly are a member-owned organization. PPA members govern the association through representatives in the PPA Council, which consists of:
- Elected representatives from each state (under specified conditions)
- Members of the Board of Directors
- Chairmen of Standing Committees
- Group Chairmen
- Past Presidents of the Association
- Presidents of PPA International Affiliates
Councilors must be Professional Active, Life or Retired PPA members and can be nominated by a state, local or chapter affiliate; or by 5 individual Professional Active, Life or Retired members of PPA. Elections are held every 3 years (ballots are sent and tabulated electronically), and all PPA Professional Active, Life and Retired members may vote for the individuals who they feel would best represent the membership of PPA.
Once elected, PPA Council members represent all of the PPA members in his or her respective state. A Councilor's duties include attending state and local association meetings, encouraging membership in PPA, and maintaining constant connection between PPA members and PPA headquarters.
Interested in Becoming a Councilor?
Read on to get the details (in other words, the specific duties and responsibilities of Councilors):
- Attendance at all PPA Council meetings.*
- Be prepared to handle Association business that comes before you at the PPA Council Meeting, which includes, but is not limited to, discussing and voting on changes to the Bylaws and Adopted Procedures and the election of the Board of Directors and Nominating Committee.
- Attend photographic events in your state/province, ensuring a PPA promotional presence or effort at all state/provincial events, particularly the state/provincial convention.
- Strongly promote membership in PPA at all events attended.
- Positively represent PPA to your state/province's current and prospective members.
- Represent the PPA membership of your state/province to PPA.
- Identify yourself as a PPA Councilor by wearing your Councilor pin at all events.
- Forward to headquarters the comments and complaints heard from your state/province’s members.
- Be available via email (email access is required for correspondence from the PPA Board of Directors, Headquarters and other Councilors).
*Adopted Procedures #6.5 – Elected Councilors, finding themselves unable to attend the annual meeting of the Council, shall designate another Professional Active, Retired, or Life member of this Association from their state who is not already a Councilor to serve as their proxy with power to act and vote in their stead, and shall notify the executive office of this Association in writing of the name of such proxy before the opening session of such annual meeting.