Find-a-Photographer Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Problems using the Find-a-Photographer search engine? See if these FAQs can help. If you get stuck or need more assistance, please email us at email@example.com, or call 800.786.6277.
- How do I search for a photographer?
- What information is required when searching for a photographer?
- What do I need to keep in mind when searching by photographer location?
- What do I need to keep in mind when searching for photographic specialties?
- How can I learn more about these photographers?
- Is this search connected to other search engines?
- Why do some portfolios have images and others don’t?
- Need Help?
How do I search for a photographer?
Search by any combination of information asked for in the Find-a-Photographer data fields (but you must at least include the zip code or state/province within the U.S. and Canada; or at least the country name for searches outside the U.S. and Canada).
The more information you include, the more you will narrow the search (for instance, if you add in the photographic specialties you’re looking for in a photographer). Make sure you click “Find Photographers” at the bottom when you’re ready to search.
The different search criteria options are described below:
- City – where the photographer is located (optional)
- State/Province (U.S./Canada) – where the photographer is located (either this or a zip code is required for searches within the U.S. or Canada)
- Country – where the photographer is located (required for searches outside the U.S. or Canada)
- Zip/Postal Code – where the photographer is located (either this or the state/province is required for searches within the U.S. or Canada)
- Radius – choose the surrounding area distance (in miles) you would like included in your search. This might be helpful if you are looking for a photographer within a certain distance to your own home (for example).
- Photographer’s Name – if you know the name of the photographer you are trying to find, include it here
- Studio Name – if you know the name of the photographer’s studio you are trying to find, include it here
- Specialty – narrow the search by selecting the type of photography service you are looking for (portrait, wedding, event, legal, retouching, etc.)
- Certified Photographers Only – check this box if you want to limit the search to only the Certified Professional Photographers who meet your other criteria. Learn more about this mark of excellence by reading “Certification Makes a Difference.”
What information is required when searching for a photographer?
You must include at least the zip code or the state/province when searching for photographers within the U.S. or Canada. To complete a search outside of the U.S. or Canada, you only need to include the country name.
What do I need to keep in mind when searching by photographer location?
Searching by location will search according to the photographers’ business addresses. However, some photographers may travel for the job if you wish. For example, some wedding photographers may offer destination wedding photography.
What do I need to keep in mind when searching for photographic specialties?
You can narrow your search by selecting a photographic specialty. Keep in mind, though, that not all photographers who meet your location criteria will have signified their photographic specialties…even if they do offer what you’re looking for.
To select more than one specialty, use Ctrl+Click (PC) or Command+Click (Mac). But if you choose to search by two or more specialty fields, please note that only photographers who do all of those specialties (and noted them in their profile) will be on your results page. If one specialty is of more importance to you than the other, you may want to try another search using only the most important specialty.
- Once you click on a specific photographer (or the More Details link under his/her name), you will see their profile.
- Click the option, “email this photographer.”
- Fill in your contact information and question.
- Enter the security code you’ll see at the bottom.
- Click “Send Message.”
In addition, most of the photographers have included their studio’s URL (Web site address) in their profile. You can click that link to learn more, too.
Why do some portfolios have images and others don’t?
Our members upload their image samples if they wish to do so.Some may not wish to upload those samples, or they may not have done so yet. To see more images, try the photographers’ listed Web sites.
If you get stuck or need some assistance, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 800.786.6277.